• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Tank Setup Steps

Ryan Smith

Wonderpus
Registered
Hello Tonmo. I have noticed something Tonmo was missing was a step by step total tank setup guide. Be warned this is my first attempt at setting up this guide and if you are reading this preparing your own tank be advised this is my first attempt and has not been edited to make sure its correct. This is for my 40 gallon tank, so some numbers will not be the same as a larger or smaller tank.

1. I bought my tank and stand and placed them
2. I then purchaced a reverse osmosis deionizing unit (5 stage or higher is needed)
3. I went to Lowes and bought a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and gallon measurements on the side.
4. I then bought live sand (argonite works as well) a hydrometer and aquarium salt.
5. Im currently filling the tank mostly full (minus 5-6 gallons for the 40 lbs of live rock) with salt water with a specific gravity of 1.026
between these stages you will need a filter,powerhead, heater or chiller, and a thermometer.

I will keep you up to date as I go along. My next step should be to buy my live rock.

See thats what I was talking about. That one of those things that isnt very logical... You would think sand being the bottom layer would be the first thing. Well Ill fix it. Thanks D

Ryan,
Finding a good book on starting a marine aquarium or visiting one of the forums (reef central being the largest) that specializes in marine tank environments is always a good idea.

Ryan,
How about looking for a good article or forum that you find helpful and posting a few links. This helps others who are getting started and will pass on what you have found. Then I can reference back to this thread as well :biggrin2:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back