• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Tank Setup Steps

Ryan Smith

Wonderpus
Registered
Hello Tonmo. I have noticed something Tonmo was missing was a step by step total tank setup guide. Be warned this is my first attempt at setting up this guide and if you are reading this preparing your own tank be advised this is my first attempt and has not been edited to make sure its correct. This is for my 40 gallon tank, so some numbers will not be the same as a larger or smaller tank.

1. I bought my tank and stand and placed them
2. I then purchaced a reverse osmosis deionizing unit (5 stage or higher is needed)
3. I went to Lowes and bought a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and gallon measurements on the side.
4. I then bought live sand (argonite works as well) a hydrometer and aquarium salt.
5. Im currently filling the tank mostly full (minus 5-6 gallons for the 40 lbs of live rock) with salt water with a specific gravity of 1.026
between these stages you will need a filter,powerhead, heater or chiller, and a thermometer.

I will keep you up to date as I go along. My next step should be to buy my live rock.

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
Ryan, your sand should be the last thing you put in the tank. Putting LR on top of the sand is more likely to create dead zones.

Ryan Smith

Wonderpus
Registered
See thats what I was talking about. That one of those things that isnt very logical... You would think sand being the bottom layer would be the first thing. Well Ill fix it. Thanks D

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
Ryan,
Finding a good book on starting a marine aquarium or visiting one of the forums (reef central being the largest) that specializes in marine tank environments is always a good idea.

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
Ryan,
How about looking for a good article or forum that you find helpful and posting a few links. This helps others who are getting started and will pass on what you have found. Then I can reference back to this thread as well :grin:

Members online

No members online now.