tank questions

Discussion in 'Cuttlefish Care' started by hammy, Jul 14, 2008.

1. hammy

hammy Pygmy Octopus Registered

i went to petco.com and decided to check out that build your own aquarium thing and chose a 46gal bow tank with a cherry wood frame and i am wondering about the hood. (its and added $100) is it really necessary???
    also i would like to know if this tank would be suitable for 1 or 2 cuttlefish (probably common)

2. daddysquoc

daddysquoc Wonderpus Registered

if by "common" you mean Sepia officinalis, then no. they can be 18 inches or more (about 45 cm) and thusneed about a 100 gallon tank for one.

3. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

Sepia bandensis dwarf cuttles yes. Maybe as many as 3.

As for the hood, that's your choice. I don't believe cuttles are prone to jumping out like some fish. It does cut down on evaporation though.

4. hammy

also what about breeding ...
    like how would i be able to tell genders and would getting two be better than getting three?

5. DHyslop

DHyslop Architeuthis Supporter

If you're worried about spending $100 for a hood you might reconsider this venture. I spent well over that each month feeding two juvenile dwarf cuttlefish.

6. hammy

this is true...but i am willing to its just i question the importance of a hood...

7. typenn187

typenn187 Larval Mass Registered

for my tank, that is in the works, i am going to go open top, no hood. the main reason for this is that if you intend on keeping corals in the future, then you will need to invest in lighting that would be sufficient. when you spend the money on the hood you would be basically throwing it away because you wont use the light that comes with, if it is the generic plastic hood. if it is glass you might use it but it can filter some of the light that you just paid to have, see what i mean. also you can use the 100 towards some equipment that you will have to purchase to successfully keep cuttles.

8. daddysquoc

daddysquoc Wonderpus Registered

i have a glass hood on my octo tank, with straps to prevent escaping.

9. hammy

okay i see...thanks everyone