• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Tank design

cfsindorf

Hatchling
Registered
Ok, I have decided to take the plunge and have a tank built. Size will be 30x24x24 glass with a water level of about 20 inches. The back will be drilled to support returns and drains and that is where I am just a bit stuck. For return I figured one will do and cover it with a screw in basket that I have seen on some drains. My isssue is with the drains, what would be the best solution to keep them inside the tank? I was thinking about standard over flow and filling it with sponge. Or I have read where somme use gutter guard, size depending on Octo. I do not know species but will go for one of the larger ones.

Pictures speak many words if you can please.

Thanks

Craig

In my 45 hex I use a sponge that fills the overflow snuggly and that has worked for both mercatoris and briareus. You do need to clean it weekly and I keep several sponge blocks as available swaps rather than leaving it open while I clean the sponges.

I have found sponges work great in overflows and are not really restrictive to flow at all.
+1 on the frequent cleaning as they will trap detritus which could be detrimental to water quality.
Fairly large and very affordable I have used are the "Imagine" brand foam filter inserts for AquaClear models 300 and 70 power filters in 3 paks.
I'm sure there are more out there as well. :smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back