Tank design

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by cfsindorf, May 12, 2010.

1. cfsindorf

cfsindorf Larval Mass Registered

Apr 20, 2010
    Ok, I have decided to take the plunge and have a tank built. Size will be 30x24x24 glass with a water level of about 20 inches. The back will be drilled to support returns and drains and that is where I am just a bit stuck. For return I figured one will do and cover it with a screw in basket that I have seen on some drains. My isssue is with the drains, what would be the best solution to keep them inside the tank? I was thinking about standard over flow and filling it with sponge. Or I have read where somme use gutter guard, size depending on Octo. I do not know species but will go for one of the larger ones.

Pictures speak many words if you can please.

2. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Sep 4, 2006
    In my 45 hex I use a sponge that fills the overflow snuggly and that has worked for both mercatoris and briareus. You do need to clean it weekly and I keep several sponge blocks as available swaps rather than leaving it open while I clean the sponges.
  3. snowmaker

snowmaker Vampyroteuthis Registered

Dec 22, 2009
    I have found sponges work great in overflows and are not really restrictive to flow at all.
    +1 on the frequent cleaning as they will trap detritus which could be detrimental to water quality.
    Fairly large and very affordable I have used are the "Imagine" brand foam filter inserts for AquaClear models 300 and 70 power filters in 3 paks.
    I'm sure there are more out there as well. :smile: