Tamar Pulp Mill

I'll be really interested in what comes from this.

From the abc.net.au website:

Gunns' pulp mill 'will pollute Bass Strait'

Thursday, 13 July 2006. 19:37

A conservation group is claiming 30 billion litres of effluent will be discharged annually into Bass Strait, if Gunns' proposed pulp mill goes ahead.

Tasmanians Against Pulp Mills says the figures are from a leaked version of Gunns integrated impact statement for the proposed Bell Bay mill.

The group's spokesman, Bob McMahon, says the document states that heavy metals and organic pollutants will be spread by currents along the coastline.

"That's about 85 million litres per day, which is interestingly enough about 45 Olympic-sized swimming pools in total dumped into the sea daily," Mr McMahon said.

"Now there's huge concern about what's going to happen to the environment and especially what's going to happen to real estate."

Gunns has confirmed it will submit its impact statement to the Resource Planning and Development Commission tomorrow for assessment.

A representative of Gunns says all the details proving the proposed Bell Bay pulp mill is world-class will be contained in the statement.

Just a quick update (as I am two chapters away from finishing my thesis...yay!), the Gunns pulp mill still plans on exporting the same amount of woodchip over to Japan as they have been previously. The new pulp mill would only increase production, not transfer it from overseas to Aus.And guess what...thats right...they are going to continue to use old growth forest to keep up production until their plantation crops are fully grown. They have always pushed the agenda that this would be about replacing overseas markets and Gunns are refusing to make comment on the new revelation.
On a good note, there is a group of conservationists called the "Gunns 20" that want to stop the pulp mill. Gunns took them to court and asked for $6 million in damages. Not only was the case thrown out but Gunns was ordered to pay the court costs on the "Gunns 20" group. Gunns are whinging that conservationists are hurting their reputation. Truth hurts heh?

Thanks very much for the congrats guys....I am now one chapter away from finishing....bigger YAY!

Unfortunately Gunns are not giving up the fight just yet....and look at what they are doing in terms of the amount of paper.....and therefore trees.....they might be doing this to keep themeselves in business....

From The Age:
Peter Gregory
August 29, 2006

THE timber company Gunns Ltd has been given a fourth chance to plead its case in a multimillion-dollar damages claim against environmentalists.

Justice Bernard Bongiorno yesterday struck out the current 221-page claim, saying it made too many claims against too many defendants in the one proceeding.

He also pointed to difficulties it caused for those sued in understanding the case against them, and the likely cost.

But Justice Bongiorno gave the company until October 19 to ask the court if it could bring another claim. If it did not, the 20 environmental groups and individuals the company had sued could make claims for costs.

Giving his judgement in the Victorian Supreme Court, Justice Bongiorno said Gunns had made serious allegations about conduct by some individuals, some of which could amount to criminal offences.

He said it would be unjust to deny Gunns the opportunity to bring its allegations in an intelligible form. But it was legally embarrassing for defendants to have to grapple with the 714-paragraph claim, which apparently was accompanied by another 2217 paragraphs of additional information, he said.

In an action seeking more than $6 million damages, Gunns sued environmentalists, including Greens leader Bob Brown, his Tasmanian counterpart, Peg Putt, and Wilderness Society national campaign director Alec Marr.

The action also named the Wilderness Society, the Huon Valley Environment Centre and Doctors For Native Forests.

Gunns claimed it was hurt financially and in its reputation, and that some defendants were conspiring against it.

Gunns said it would continue its efforts to sue. Chief executive John Gay said: "We've got the answer we wanted."

With AAP

sorseress;74591 said:
That's really discouraging. Are there any enviro orgs. that would be capable of monitoring emissions? Air and water?

Further to this I just found ou that the state government has EXEMPTED the pulp mill from national air-pollution limits and Gunns has asked for permission to exceed the limits for nitrous oxides.

:mad:

OMG! Does the government like poisoning it's people and wild life? I'd say that's unbelievable, but unfortunately, we've seen way too much of that sort of thing over here in the last few years, I will never understand the world these people live in...there's no apparent connection to reality!

Gunn's Intergrated Impact Statement was realeased a while back with over 7000 pages for readers to ponder through. Public comment about this document was due September 25th to the Resource Planning and Development Commission. It will probably take a while for an outcome on this since so many people have elected to make comment. The outcome could be crucial to the pulp mill going ahead. If we can stop it here and now....great...but if the RPDC gives it the green light....it will be harder to stop. We will never give up though!

No much news on the pulp mill front. There was a rally held in Launceston which approximately 8000 people attended. We marched around the streets of Launny and got plenty of debate happening...but not much will occur until the RPDC starts reading the submissions. I got a lovely letter from them acknowledging my submission but nothing else yet.
On a slightly more joyous and personal note...I have handed in my thesis!!!! Yay!!! Now I have to wait 6-8 weeks to see if they think I can do my own research. Goodbye Atlantic salmon....hello squid :smile:

rvangeld;81245 said:
No much news on the pulp mill front. There was a rally held in Launceston which approximately 8000 people attended. We marched around the streets of Launny and got plenty of debate happening...but not much will occur until the RPDC starts reading the submissions. I got a lovely letter from them acknowledging my submission but nothing else yet.
On a slightly more joyous and personal note...I have handed in my thesis!!!! Yay!!! Now I have to wait 6-8 weeks to see if they think I can do my own research. Goodbye Atlantic salmon....hello squid :smile:

Congrats!! :grad:

Okay....have been away for a while but things are finally getting interesting with the development of the pulp mill. The next couple of posts are recent articles from www.abc.net.au explaining current events. Basically the government are pushing very hard for this pulp mill as you will be able to tell from the articles. They are really showing their true colours and it is horrible.
On a better note....I have found out that I have passed my PhD! All I have to do is some minor corrections and I can hand in a hard bound copy of my thesis. If anyone knows of any squid projects out there, please let me know :smile:

Business chamber warns against further delaying pulp mill assessment

Friday, 5 January 2007.

Tasmania's main business group says the State Government must ensure delays to the examination of Gunns Limited's proposed Tamar Valley pulp mill do not begin to affect the company's commitment to the project.

Two members of the Resource, Planning and Development Commission's pulp mill assessment panel have just resigned from the body.

The Chamber of Commerce and Industry says the Government must fill the two vacancies quickly.

Chamber chief executive Damon Thomas says delays to a project the size of the proposed pulp mill can carry big financial and planning costs.

"Now a delay of a short period of time is not going to presumably make a major or material difference," he said.

"But if we start to swerve and delay a long time ahead, then I would only assume that Gunns will continually reassess its position."

Pulp mill opponents pushed panel chief to quit, Gunns says

Monday, 8 January 2007.

The Tasmanian timber company Gunns has accused its pulp mill opponents of pressuring the Resource, Planning and Development Commission chief to quit.

Julian Green chaired the assessment panel for the Bell Bay proposal and his resignation has thrown the process into doubt.

Another panel member, Dr Warwick Raverty, also quit, after the Greens accused him of "apprehended bias" because he had worked for the CSIRO, which produced supporting information on the mill that was used by the Government's Pulp Mill task force.

Gunns' chairman John Gay says he is disappointed by the resignations but does not believe the integrity of the process has been compromised.

"I think that the issues with Julian Green leaving is more to do with the pressure that he's been under from people giving him a hard time about the process and I think it's really been quite intense," he said.

"They've been really putting a lot of pressure on him, I think he's been getting a lot of mail, I think the submissions to the RPDC were threatening and I think that I don't blame him for wanting to get out."

Mr Gay says he expects the Government to announce replacements by the end of the week.

He says the mill's opponents want to stall the process and that should not happen just because Mr Green has resigned.

Former panellist backs alternative Gunns mill site

Tuesday, 9 January 2007.

A scientist who resigned from Tasmania's Resource Planning and Development Commission (RPDC) says Gunns could have avoided a lot of controversy if it had chosen Hampshire as the location of the proposed pulp mill.

Warwick Raverty resigned from the RPDC assessment panel last week after a perception of bias raised by the Greens.

Dr Raverty says it is his personal opinion that Bell Bay is one of the worst locations for the mill, as it would contribute to the Tamar Valley's air pollution problems.

He says Hampshire would have been a better site because it is away from populated areas.

"It certainly would have avoided a lot of the present controversy," he said.

"I understand there were additional costs in putting the mill at Hampshire, but of course it's up to Gunns to weigh up the additional costs of meeting the more stringent requirements of putting it at Longreach."

Gunns' boss worried delays may end pulp mill plans

Wednesday, 10 January 2007.

The chairman of timber company Gunns says Tasmania could miss out on the pulp mill project in Bell Bay, in the state's north, if there are further delays to the assessment process.

John Gay says he is frustrated by recent developments surrounding the Resource, Planning and Development Commission (RPDC).

Mr Gay says the company has already met all the strict environmental guidelines imposed by the RPDC and he just wants to move ahead with the project.

"I believe the Government does want a pulp mill, I believe that 90 per cent of the public want a pulp mill, but it's a small minority again ruling Tasmania and if Tasmanians don't get on with doing things there will never be any industry here," he said.

Gunns is expected to lodge amendments to its integrated impact statement by the end of the month after the RPDC asked it to fix a number of deficiencies and omissions.

The Wilderness Society says it does not believe threats by Gunns that the pulp mill project will be in jeopardy if it is not approved within six months.

Two senior members of the RPDC quit last week because of ongoing political interference in the assessment process.

Gunns says it may be forced to move the project outside of Tasmania if the resignations cause further delays.

Geoff Law from the Wilderness Society says Gunns is calling the bluff.

"This six month period is a furphy. It is simply an attempt by Gunns to railroad the process and intimidate and bully the RPDC into unreasonable acceleration," he said.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back