Tamar Pulp Mill

Discussion in 'The Octopus' Den' started by rvangeld, Feb 27, 2006.

1. rvangeld

rvangeld O. bimaculoides Registered

After reading about what is going on in other places, I thought I might mention a major marine conservation problem here in Tasmania. The 'clean, green' state is considering putting in a pulp mill in the Tamar River. The thought of pumping thousands on tonnes of heated water, tannins and chlorine into the marine environment doesnt seem to worry the pollies at all. The fact that everything from algae, to cephs, to seals will be affected again does not seem to bother them. I have joined the fight to stop this mill from getting built.
    If anyone is interested in the campaign or just wants to follow whats going on, then just go to:
    http://www.wilderness.org.au

We also have a state election here in March and it will be very interesting to see the results....fingers crossed.

2. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

That's TERRIBLE...........Tassie is such a gorgeous place and that mill will destroy both the forest and aquatic environments then for good measure stuff up the marine environment where the river runs into the sea :mad:

J

3. Steve O'Shea

Steve O'Shea Colossal Squid Supporter

I've sent my protest through. Shocking state of affairs this is!

4. chrono_war01

chrono_war01 Colossal Squid Supporter

This is shocking! For the good of the enviroment, we must say "No" to the destruction of Earth's ecosystems!

5. sorseress

sorseress Colossal Squid Supporter

I've sent mine. I grew up near one of the nasty things on the upper reaches of the Mississippi. I think it was the first (as in nearest to the hedwaters) major pollution source on the river. There were days was the visibility was negligible and the stench overwhelming. None of us knew about dioxins back then, but we hads a lot of cancer in that town.

6. bigGdelta

bigGdelta Vampyroteuthis Supporter

There was a paper mill around 25 miles from my hometown and when the wind was right you could smell the stink. and another mill 5o miles away had killed everything in a good sized oxbow lake. hate the damned things

7. aximbigfan

aximbigfan GPO Registered

i sent my protest email.... poor little chephs...

chris

8. rvangeld

Oh shit....the election was not what I would have hoped. The Labor party hold the majority with 14 seats, the Liberals have 7 seats and the Greens have only 2!?! There was actually a swing against the Greens (:confused:) Anyway, with Labor winning the majority the fight becomes more important and a lot harder. Will keep you posted...

9. rvangeld

Better news....the Greens won the last two undecided seats which brings them up to 4. Still Labor have the majority and they love this pulp mill. The election was only declared yesterday so we will have to wait and see what develops....

Oh....and Australia has decided to sell uraninum to China....and they are thinking about selling it to India........words fail me.......

10. rvangeld

11. sorseress

That's really discouraging. Are there any enviro orgs. that would be capable of monitoring emissions? Air and water?

12. rvangeld

The EPA should monitor any emmissions by the plant, however I am positive the wilderness society and conservation australia are going to be watching these guys like hawks. We dont plan on letting them get away with anything. Also, while it is discouraging it's not built yet.

13. rvangeld

The main push from the wilderness society is to write to the pollies....

Paul Lennon
    Premier of Tasmania
    11th Floor, 15 Murray St, Hobart 7000
    Email: paul.lennon@dpac.tas.gov.au

Senator the Hon. Ian Campbell
    Federal Environment Minister
    GPO Box B58, Perth WA 6838
    Email: senator.ian.campbell@aph.gov.au

So if anyone wants to voice their opinion....go for it. It might make them think a little if they get a response from outside Tasmania. They think if they can keep it as state news no one will give a shit.

Also...does it annoy anyone else that politicians get the title "Honorable"?

14. sorseress

Well, how many honourable politicians are you aware of? :hmm:

15. rvangeld

Still thinking on that one...will have to get back to you....:wink:

16. rvangeld

I'll be really interested in what comes from this.

From the abc.net.au website:

Gunns' pulp mill 'will pollute Bass Strait'

Thursday, 13 July 2006. 19:37

A conservation group is claiming 30 billion litres of effluent will be discharged annually into Bass Strait, if Gunns' proposed pulp mill goes ahead.

Tasmanians Against Pulp Mills says the figures are from a leaked version of Gunns integrated impact statement for the proposed Bell Bay mill.

The group's spokesman, Bob McMahon, says the document states that heavy metals and organic pollutants will be spread by currents along the coastline.

"That's about 85 million litres per day, which is interestingly enough about 45 Olympic-sized swimming pools in total dumped into the sea daily," Mr McMahon said.

"Now there's huge concern about what's going to happen to the environment and especially what's going to happen to real estate."

Gunns has confirmed it will submit its impact statement to the Resource Planning and Development Commission tomorrow for assessment.

A representative of Gunns says all the details proving the proposed Bell Bay pulp mill is world-class will be contained in the statement.

17. rvangeld

Just a quick update (as I am two chapters away from finishing my thesis...yay!), the Gunns pulp mill still plans on exporting the same amount of woodchip over to Japan as they have been previously. The new pulp mill would only increase production, not transfer it from overseas to Aus.And guess what...thats right...they are going to continue to use old growth forest to keep up production until their plantation crops are fully grown. They have always pushed the agenda that this would be about replacing overseas markets and Gunns are refusing to make comment on the new revelation.
    On a good note, there is a group of conservationists called the "Gunns 20" that want to stop the pulp mill. Gunns took them to court and asked for $6 million in damages. Not only was the case thrown out but Gunns was ordered to pay the court costs on the "Gunns 20" group. Gunns are whinging that conservationists are hurting their reputation. Truth hurts heh?

18. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

congrats on that!

19. sorseress

I second the congrats!, and I'm really glad that Gunns got gunned down by the judge. Occasionally things do go right.

20. rvangeld

Thanks very much for the congrats guys....I am now one chapter away from finishing....bigger YAY!

Unfortunately Gunns are not giving up the fight just yet....and look at what they are doing in terms of the amount of paper.....and therefore trees.....they might be doing this to keep themeselves in business....

From The Age:
    Peter Gregory
    August 29, 2006

THE timber company Gunns Ltd has been given a fourth chance to plead its case in a multimillion-dollar damages claim against environmentalists.

Justice Bernard Bongiorno yesterday struck out the current 221-page claim, saying it made too many claims against too many defendants in the one proceeding.

He also pointed to difficulties it caused for those sued in understanding the case against them, and the likely cost.

But Justice Bongiorno gave the company until October 19 to ask the court if it could bring another claim. If it did not, the 20 environmental groups and individuals the company had sued could make claims for costs.

Giving his judgement in the Victorian Supreme Court, Justice Bongiorno said Gunns had made serious allegations about conduct by some individuals, some of which could amount to criminal offences.

He said it would be unjust to deny Gunns the opportunity to bring its allegations in an intelligible form. But it was legally embarrassing for defendants to have to grapple with the 714-paragraph claim, which apparently was accompanied by another 2217 paragraphs of additional information, he said.

In an action seeking more than $6 million damages, Gunns sued environmentalists, including Greens leader Bob Brown, his Tasmanian counterpart, Peg Putt, and Wilderness Society national campaign director Alec Marr.

The action also named the Wilderness Society, the Huon Valley Environment Centre and Doctors For Native Forests.

Gunns claimed it was hurt financially and in its reputation, and that some defendants were conspiring against it.

Gunns said it would continue its efforts to sue. Chief executive John Gay said: "We've got the answer we wanted."

With AAP