Taking the octo dip, Again

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by dbbga, Jan 16, 2005.

1. dbbga

dbbga Vampyroteuthis Registered

Well after a much needed rest from octos, and the bad experience with cuttles I have decided to get another Bimac. I enjoyed the Bimacs the most so thats what it will be. Will keep you informed of the little ones new arrival.

Dbbga

2. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

We'll look forward to hearing about it! Do you have a name picked out yet?

Nancy

3. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

ones....Does this mean more than one???? And congrats! Am looking forward to the arrival!!! :smile:

Carol

4. chrono_war01

chrono_war01 Colossal Squid Supporter

o...here's something special.....

5. dbbga

Have everything set for the new arrival this coming Sat. Getting ONE octo :wink: and 200 baby clams. Yes Im going with the Bimac this time, dont think I could handle 200 babies again :razz: Tank is doing really well now and all params are doing great. Installed a HUGE protien skimmer I got locally, WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!!! DOH

Will keep you updated when the little one gets here on Sat.

Deb

6. Nancy

Wonderful news! I'm sure your new bimac will enjoy the big tank you have now.

What brand of protein skimmer did you buy? I like mine, but it makes a lot of noise.

Nancy

7. dbbga

Its an Oceanic Plus series 6 Its used from a guy in the DFW forum we talked about, I put it in the sump underneath the tank and it works so much better than the sea clone I had on there

8. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

When does the octo get here Deb?

9. dbbga

It gets here Today, Sat. Its 3am in the morning and i cant sleep. Tank Params are good, all power heads are secure, have a critter cage that it will be in for a few months, I think it will get lost in this big tank if I dont. I cant wait............

10. corw314

Hi Debbie!

Hope you update lots today!!! I should be snowed in by afternoon so will be lurking for updates!! Critter cage is a great idea! Lil P did very well in it for a few weeks!!! Good luck with the delivery and acclimation!!

Any news on the arrival yet????It's 11:30EST so shouldn't he be at your door shortly???

Carol

11. Nancy

Hi Debbie,

So today is the day for Octopus Anxiety, which is my term for what you go through waiting for your octo to arrive!

I think it's a good decision to keep the little guy in a smaller container for a little while.

Hope all goes well,

Nancy

12. dbbga

Well the BABY IS HERE!!!!!!!!!!! :grin: Tiny little thing, but in very good shape. I took my time acclimating her ( just want a girl lol) she arrived her at 10am CST. and was finnaly placed inthe critter keeper in the main tank at noon. She has gone to the top corner of the keeper and is flashing colors and doing the racing stripe thing everytime i go to the tank. I put a small amout of sand in the keeper and a pc of LR that she can explore and hide in, but has shown no interest as of yet. I can see her flashing her colors from across the room. She is the size of a kidney bean all curled up on the keeper, but has no problem running me off is she doesnt want me there so she is a llittle fighter :lol:

I couldnt be more thrilled!!!!! more updates as they happen......

13. corw314

Excellent!!! Any thought on a name yet????

Carol

14. Nancy

So tiny! But Octopets little bimacs do seem to arrive in good shape!
    I'll add her to the 2005 siblings when you figure out a name for her!

Nancy

15. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

congrats :)

16. dbbga

Got up this morning expecting the worst after past exp. Little one is still alive and seems fine. A bit on the shy side I guess, has moved down to the bottom corner of the keeper and is just curled up like a kitten. going to place a few more clams in the keeper today to see if she will eat something.

17. dbbga

Little one has moved over to the LR and has made herself a little hiding place. Every once in a while I can see her poking her little eyes up to see what im doing LOL then jumping back into her hole LOL Just about have the name narrowed down to two names. Man what a hard decision

18. dbbga

Well, after a fascinating day of watch my new little octo(no name yet) I have seen an eye spot, as small as a pin head. She has gone to the bottom of the LR and has dug out a hole right in front of were the clams are and is just sitting there watching them :smile: I have to say that this little one is the smallest i have had as a new coto baby, other than the hatchlings that Jetta had.
    But is still very thrilling to have another octo in the house :grin:

19. corw314

Aren't they the cutist things in the whole wide world, (besides my kids as babies.....)Anyway totally amazing how fast they adjust and the colorations even for one so young! Any hint on the name yet?

Enjoy!!!!! :smile:

20. dbbga

Yeah we have it narrowed down to two names:

Meg,
    Lilly

Just waiting till one really pops out at me LOL ( any help?)

Got up this morning an the little one has drug off clams leaving a trail inthe sand of her mischeft.. She is sitting perched on top of the LR like she is king of the tank right now, :lol: :roflmao: how cute. Off to work I will check in when i get home