Take 2

From the photo you posted, only one arm (complete) is visible. Looks too short to be O. briareus. (if opinion of a novice counts) I was so relieved when mine disappeared. I have looked and looked but cannot find the den. My tank is large with many possible spots to den. I feel better when I at least know where it is. I like this, trying to figure out what species we have, takes my mind off the other unpleasent possibilities.
keeping fingers crossed.

hermit crab hunter!

Well, over the last tow days I hadn't seen the new octo out, but always in the barnacle den. Sometimes peeking out, sometimes completely withdrawn and sleeping, but always in the den. I take it as a good sign that it chose a den in the front and is always watching what's going on even if it never comes out. Finally tonight, after light's out, it came all the way out! It's the second night of birthday sleep over, so it must be used to all the activity in the living room. It came out and grabbed a hermit crab- in front of 4 girls, then amazed them all by fitting back into the barnacle with the crab in tow.

I'm not sure what kind this is, but it's way too big to be a mercatoris. I always assumed that Pandora was a joubini- she had small egged babies and was Caribbean so what else could she have been? But you know, she was pretty big for a dwarf octo! This one is as big as an aculeatus if smaller than a full grown briareus. The barnacle it dens in is the size of a racquet ball. It has lots of red mottling but I haven't seen any blue-green coloring (then, I haven't seen it out all the way except in the bucket!).

So far I'm keeping my fingers crossed- until it came out just now, I was starting to think it might be thinking about brooding.

Well that's terrific! The girls got to see it. :biggrin2: I think mine may not be O. briareus but still not sure. I only saw mine out once, last night was a no-show. I am hoping fiddlers (ordered today) will prove irresistable to him as I have not been able to get him eat. I do not have the good feeling of relief that you have knowing yours has eaten. I am concerned and will feel much better when he finally eats something.
This is like a suprise package we are opening v-e-r-y... s-l-o-w-l-y....... I just want to rip it open and know what I have RIGHT NOW! :troll:
I am just a little impatient.

Pretty much status quo, here. This one is absolutely nocturnal. Still interested in being in a den that gives visual access to the whole room all day, but you never see more than one eye from inside the den. Sometimes it's sleeping so deeply that it doesn't seem to notice me in daylight hours. As soon as the tank lights are out, it sits just outside the den, with the mantle still tucked inside. It even stretches an arm out toward the front of the tank if I'm sitting there, but still seems a bit shy. Never did eat the shrimp it grabbed the other night, I guess that was just a show for the sleep-over. There is a hermit missing, and it pooped at me yesterday (late afternoon- "I'm still sleeping, go away!"), so I'm not freaking out about that (yet).

The behavior is very mercish and not typical briareus. Flip though Sleazy's journal to compare. Also take a look at the pictures near the end of Trapper's journal where you can see my hand for a size comparison. She was a large mercatoris (she was supposed to be briareus). If TakeToo is larger or has considerably longer arms I think she/he is something else. I am convinced Monty is not hummelincki but I can't find anything to suggest what he is. There have been lots of oddities this year and I am really enjoying it :biggrin2:

Haha i know how you feel Lmecher. I have not seen my new one since I put it in on Tuesday. I am not worried yet as it did seem interested in food (exploring arms when i put the frozen mysis and brine shrimp in the tank) but i have not seen it eat. It is still in its den for right now, Im hoping it comes out for exploring when lights go out tonight.

In the process of dying...

O.k., I know it's been way too long. My dad has been really sick-his lung collapsed and the cancer has metastasized in his brain- but PTA, Christmas and other things keep happening even when you're going to the hospital everyday. He's o.k. for now. There is a Santa, 'cause I got my dad for one more Christmas!:smile:

This octopus has been cool, but not much to report about. I'm still not sure what it is, but it has been very nocturnal. It seems to be too big to call a dwarf- it's certainly not a briareus, and not as big as one either (but at least twice as big as a merc). I thought it had been brooding for the last few weeks- like the last unknown Caribbean- not eating but never holing all the way up like most do. I'd always see an eye during the day, peeking out but never fully emerging. Then all of a sudden I'd be watching it after dark and it would come all the way out! It would not stay out long, just investigate me a bit then return to it's den. I'm still not sure if it's male or female.

I never really expected it to do well after observing the skin lesion(cut? tear?) on it's mantle. The biggest bummer about it being nocturnal is not being able to watch what's been going on with that. Today, it suddenly emerged from the barnacle with full lights on. It has been eating it's arm tips- not a huge surprise as it hasn't eaten anything in the last 2 weeks. But what is really weird is that it looks like there are blisters or boils on its arms! Here and there are bumps just under the skin of it's arms that look like they are full of water. I got a lot of shots and some video with Julie's new Flip camera, I'll get them loaded soon. I'm so glad it came out when it was still able to display colors and texture that might help identify it- and weirdest of all- it's mantle looks fine!

This one has totally got me stumped. The only thing I'm sure of is that it's dying. Too bad I didn't get it sooner, because when I did catch it at the right time it was friendly. I'm pretty sure it would have been a fun octo as a younger animal.

Well thats too bad :sad: it is difficult to see them suffer. I will be looking for the photos.
I am saddened to hear about your dad. We spent last Christmas in the hospital with my father-in-law. Enjoy this gift of time, words cannot express how my heart is breaking for you and your family.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back