Take 2

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by sedna, Dec 2, 2010.

1. sedna

sedna Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter Registered

The new briareus from Tom just got here- immediately an improvement! The packing job was great, even so the temp inside the styrofoam container was 56.4F. I gave it a moment to get used to the light before fully opening the box- hard to wait. When I saw it- total opposite of Tuesday. Much younger, responsive to me, looks in good condition. Floating the bag as I gather supplies, more soon!

2. sedna

Oooh, now I'm not so sure... Certainly more active than the last one, but when I put it in the bucket I noticed what looks like an abrasion on it's mantle. Also, maybe the activity is more panicky than I'd like. Sg in the shipping bag was 1.028.

3. Lmecher

Lmecher Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Registered

Sill anxiously awaiting my delivery. Last time I chose the earlier delivery, suposed to be here by 3:00 PM. I am keeping my:fingerscrossed: for both of us. I will be crushed if either one of us looses these.

4. corpusse

corpusse Vampyroteuthis Registered

Good luck!

5. sedna

Well, it's almost 3 hours in the bucket, the temp is much better but the pH is still pretty different. The shipping water was 7.4, but my tank is 8.0. The water in the bucket just measured 7.8, so we're getting there. This octopus definitely has a tear in the skin of it's mantle. It also looks like the webbing between the front two legs is somehow damaged. The octo is active and interested in me, so I hope that's at least a good sign...

6. Lmecher

Oh no! Can they recover from damage on the mantle? You'd think so since the arms can regrow, guess it depends how severe. Does it look deep? I hate acclimation and the following few days. My nerves are wearing thin.
    :fingerscrossed:

7. Lmecher

How's it going?

8. sedna

I'm not sure what's up with the skin, but now it is in the tank and it OWNS the barnacle! It moved right in and has it's eyes peeking out on the rest of the room, watching us. It made one quick swipe at one of those monster shrimp that Tom sent, but it wasn't interested enough to come all the way out of it's hiding place. It's coloration is really cool, more mottled than I remember past briareus... It is behaving just fine despite having something "out of the ordinary" with the skin.

9. Lmecher

Whew! what a relief. :grin: I am very happy for you.
    I have just past the 3 hour mark acclimating mine. I am going to step it up, I don't know if prolonged acclimation is good. Did you take photos of the release?

10. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Interesting that it took the barnacle. I have only had mercs to do that and have assumed it has something to do with not having a second entrance/exit. I have fingers and toes crossed that TakeToo makes it as he is already proving interesting.

11. sedna

This morning Elise was the first one to remember that Julie is 12 today. My first waking thought was about the octopus... Does that make me a bad mom? I did take some photos, but getting ready for the b-day party (and regular Fri. morning volunteer at one school, PTA prez doing Popcorn Friday at the other, busy day ahead), I haven't had time to post them yet. Also, when I acclimate I only keep the blue light (if any) on, so coloring looks off in the photos. This morning it is all pulled into the barnacle, but tell tale signs in the substrate (little piles of obviously sifted aragonite) let me know there was activity some time after lights out. I'm hoping a day with no one around will help it get used to the new home.

That joubini I had took right to the barnacle... The eyes on this one are a little different for a briareus, too. I was hoping for a fertile female briareus, but I'm happy with anything healthy. Right now it is pulled into it's hole with one eye on me- just like they do after eating. I'm not sure it did hunt anything down, but that's the impression I get now.

Gotta go volunteer, I'll post those photos tonight (hopefully will get better ones) in the midst of a slumber party!

12. SabrinaR

SabrinaR Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Registered

I'm glad everythings going so well. Total 180 from before.

13. sedna

Acclimation pics

So I got all the books shelved and was able to sneak home long enough to upload the photos. The photo in the bucket shows the irregularities in the skin. As I was watching it last night, it seemed fine as far as behavior, I wonder if those are scars from some kind of skirmish? When I checked on it just now, it seemed to be doing a good job of denning up, with a shell to use as a door but the door is open now. Reminds me exactly of how that last joubini went straight to brooding... Of course, I haven't seen enough of it to say what it is yet. I'm just happy to see a nice, calm respiration rate and "normal" behavior from a nocturnal/ crepuscular animal!

Attached Files:

14. sedna

Wish I'd gotten more pics of that joubini... The thread was called "Tom's Pick," for anyone (D) who wants to compare photos- the few that there are.

15. DWhatley

I'm going with your diagnosis. The buldging very round eyes just don't look right for a merc and the arms don't look robust enough for an O.briareus. I have ONLY seen the barnacle accepted with O. mercatoris but have not kept O.joubini (I may have had a post brood female once but she went into the tank and I never saw her again).

16. Lmecher

From the photo you posted, only one arm (complete) is visible. Looks too short to be O. briareus. (if opinion of a novice counts) I was so relieved when mine disappeared. I have looked and looked but cannot find the den. My tank is large with many possible spots to den. I feel better when I at least know where it is. I like this, trying to figure out what species we have, takes my mind off the other unpleasent possibilities.
    keeping fingers crossed.

17. sedna

hermit crab hunter!

Well, over the last tow days I hadn't seen the new octo out, but always in the barnacle den. Sometimes peeking out, sometimes completely withdrawn and sleeping, but always in the den. I take it as a good sign that it chose a den in the front and is always watching what's going on even if it never comes out. Finally tonight, after light's out, it came all the way out! It's the second night of birthday sleep over, so it must be used to all the activity in the living room. It came out and grabbed a hermit crab- in front of 4 girls, then amazed them all by fitting back into the barnacle with the crab in tow.

I'm not sure what kind this is, but it's way too big to be a mercatoris. I always assumed that Pandora was a joubini- she had small egged babies and was Caribbean so what else could she have been? But you know, she was pretty big for a dwarf octo! This one is as big as an aculeatus if smaller than a full grown briareus. The barnacle it dens in is the size of a racquet ball. It has lots of red mottling but I haven't seen any blue-green coloring (then, I haven't seen it out all the way except in the bucket!).

So far I'm keeping my fingers crossed- until it came out just now, I was starting to think it might be thinking about brooding.

18. Lmecher

Well that's terrific! The girls got to see it. :grin: I think mine may not be O. briareus but still not sure. I only saw mine out once, last night was a no-show. I am hoping fiddlers (ordered today) will prove irresistable to him as I have not been able to get him eat. I do not have the good feeling of relief that you have knowing yours has eaten. I am concerned and will feel much better when he finally eats something.
    This is like a suprise package we are opening v-e-r-y... s-l-o-w-l-y....... I just want to rip it open and know what I have RIGHT NOW! :troll:
    I am just a little impatient.

19. DWhatley

:grin:

20. SabrinaR

SabrinaR Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Registered

LOL You SLAY ME WOMAN!