T. violaceus in the shallows

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
So, whilst trawling the interwebz for some potentially interesting videos, I came accross this footage of a Tremoctopus in 4 feet deep water. A female, showing some interesting colour changes (for a pelagic) between purple'ish blue and brown, with silvery white winning over orange ventrally. Very dark cohesive ink, as a side. I would guess this to be post spawning, but that is really just conjecture...

I would guess she is dieing from the way her mantle seems "attached" to the sand. When OhToo (O.hummelincki was in his last days, he could not keep his mantle off the sand and desparately wanted to (enough to latch onto my hand and not let go when I picked him up to put him in a breeder net). I also noted in Beldar's thread and tried to show in her video the loss of control of the mantle in the last days. In both cases the arms seemed to coordinate but it was as if the mantle had no muscle and was dead weight.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back