[Octopus]: Sylvester

meekerz

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
Funny story.

I came home last night to see Sylvester out (not in hiding). I came up to the tank to greet him, and he started dancing. I got up to go to our corner to see if he'd like to be petted. On the glass, near our corner was a snail. Vester comes up to the snail, grabs it, and plucks it from the glass. And I'm thinking "oh no, it's snail for dinner". But as Vester like being contrary, he doesn't eat it. No. He flings it away. Then comes up the corner to be petted/scratched. The snail was in the way and it had to go :roflmao:

meekerz

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
So the other day, I found an opened empty clam shell (which I was sure was alive and thought that was the last one). This morning, I found another new opened and empty clam shell (that I didn't even know was there). Apparently, Sylvester has been finding and eating live clams. (I put them in months ago during Seven's time, and I lost track of how many there actually were.)

Is there a recommended number of clams per tank? I'm planning to go to the market and purchase a bunch again for whenever Sylvester feels like it.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone has investigated a limit. I have ummm :oops:, multiple tanks so I usually pick up 7 or 8 and distribute them one or two to a tank tanks as clean-up crew and then move them to the octo tank(s) as they are consumed. They can help clean your sand (minimally), are hardy and often ignored by the octos much of the time. You do want to keep an eye on them if they die and are not consumed but I have found no impact if I have failed to notice with only one or two in the tank. They bury themselves in the sand (and is likely why you have not seen them) but will be noticeable when they expire. You have me thinking. I may try putting a dozen in an empty tank (if I can find some. Lately my grocery store has not had anything but live mussels which do not do well in the tanks and foul easily) just to see if adding a larger number helps with the nitrates.

meekerz

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
Put 4 clams in the tank over the weekend. It's a different kind of clam, a local variety with a very slow response time (when you poke it, or if it gets spooked, it takes like another few seconds before it slowly closes, haha). Vester hasn't minded them yet, but when he does, it seems like it'll be easy picking for him.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Take a closeup of the clams if you have time. It will be curious to see if I find the same species (provided I can determine some visual qualifying factor) in our Asian market.

meekerz

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
Here it is, D. It's a little more reactive now that when I got them last weekend; not as slow anymore. Perhaps it was the transport that got them sluggish?

I'm down one clam. I don't know if it died or it was Vester that killed/ate it. There was a chunk left (compared to the other other variety of clam that was wiped clean).

clam.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dr.PS

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan