[Octopus]: Sylvester

meekerz

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
Observed a quirk of Sylvester today. He doesn't care about floating Lego ;p He was swimming and dancing about when I put in a piece of Lego with food in it, and he just swam around it, pushing it away. But when I pushed it down and it sunk, he swam to it to hug it and I assume try to get the food- I added some small blocks so the food doesn't float out, making it more difficult to get too.

0-02-01-51e120ea69c3fc11060216ab1bca0b73b4bb7ec899cb32fdab1ef7e7104219fe_full.jpg

Either he eats really slow, or the block was just difficult today, but he was still hugging it when I left for work. (I should feed him earlier so I can have more time watching.)

Also! He finally allowed me to pet him! Yay!

meekerz

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
Is it okay to embed an Instagram video here? Haven't had the chance to upload it to youtube, but it's in my Ig already.

Edit: The Ig code didn't work. I'll try an upload it to youtube later.

meekerz

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
Sylvester allowing me to pet him. :mrgreen:

He's still not too fond of my mobile phone and doesn't like it hanging overhead (tried to take a video from an above angle), and does not like V (my house cleaner who found and caught him in the kitchen last Sunday before water change). But he seems to like me and my daughter. He comes out to watch my daughter eat breakfast, and he's usually out "dancing" when we eat dinner. Seems likes he finds us eating as interesting as I find him eating. :roflmao:

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
I suspect you are not forever hooked on octopuses :gigas:.
Once one allows you to pet it, there is no turning back (voice of experience). I do have a theory about "petting" that is unromantic though (I am still thrilled when one comes to my hand for attention anyway). It is my thinking that their skin gets "itchy" as they age and our hands provide a scratching post that is much nicer than rock. The only times I have been nipped (no skin breakage) have been when I trying to put a senescent octopus back on the rock after holding it in my hand. That being said, they clearly trust the hand that pets.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dr.PS

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak