• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Switching Current Timers

I'm trying to construct a wave box for my home aquarium but I am having trouble finding a timer that can switch fast enough to operate it properly. Does anyone know of a timer (preferably cheap) that can switch every few seconds. The faster the better as I need the pump to just turn on and off every 1-5 seconds depending on the hight of the desired wave, and the timer needs to be adjustable.

there's a very expensive pump, designed to give you fine tuning control so that you can so harmonic waves in your tank. I think it's called a vortech. It has the motor on the outside, and the fan blades on the inside of the tank (works through the glass) so all the heat is on the outside. I think it needs a special controller, which is optional, to do waves.

I think I saw that one at MACNA, very impressive and not much larger than a mid sized Koralia.

I found a timer on eBay that will do what you want I think but it has a major draw back in that it is neither gounded nor polarized. We widened one opening to take a polarized plug (not likely the safest thing to do). I did not see the one we bought but did find this one. It is more expensive but it has a proper grounded plug outlet.

I don't know anyone that has been able to create a standing wave cheaply with a pump and a timer. Seems like its just harder than that and that complete on/off cycles don't work. Vortech pumps do it great though. :biggrin2:

What is it you really want to do? To set up a standing wave, is a delicate balancing act that required fine control and so expensive gear (Vortech). But, if all you want to do is have a current that flows one way for a little while, and then the other way for a little while, like gentle natural surge, then the solutions are relatively cheap and easy. I've seen macro algae tanks that use power strips with built in timers, like this one, with pairs of opposing power heads. The power head(s) pointing to the right are allowed to run for a few minutes causing the water to flow in a clockwise pattern, then the powers is switched to the power head(s) pointing to the lift for a few minutes, causing the flow to change to counter-clockwise, and so on. Would that work for what you want to do?

Ive noticed that you love to do these things that are "odd", and i have to admitt i am highly entertained in following your attempts and set ups! I think deep down, we are kinda similar you and I... I like the rare setups, doing thinggs that arent traditional! LOL... And just experimenting. Now dont get me wrong im not going to do that now with the ceph tank.. but i have in the past. People at LFS have looked at me in amazement, completly couldnt understand where i came up with these ideas for a tank, or things to do with it. I apologize for the slightly off topic comment, but i thought it might be right because of the wavemaker idea. I havent seen many aquariums successfully pull it off, and ive always like the idea. Read alot of things that its supposed to stimulate coral growth, and actually benifit alot of organisms involved established in the tank :smile:.. All i can say is good luck, and please post more about your experience and or success with it!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back