"Swimming With Sea Monsters" TV mini-series

Crivens Jean! Are we talking about the same series here? Walking with Monsters has barely been announced by the BBC yet, I didn't know NZ was actually showing the darn thing. Well, was it any good?

Meganeura (Carboniferous giant dragonfly)
Arthropleura (Carboniferous giant millipede-like animal)

Well I'm glad to see the Carboniferous is getting a look in at last! A highly underrated period if you ask me. But what has happened to my favourite Carboniferous beastie Euproops???? I've long thought 'Creeping with Euproops' whilst perhaps lacking the dramatic impact of a T rex would still make great TV. Perhaps we'll see them scuttling out of the way of the Arthopleurid. :wink:

Andy

Attachments

• conv_288314.jpg
    conv_288314.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 100
neuropteris said:
A highly underrated period if you ask me.

:lol:

neuropteris said:
But what has happened to my favourite Carboniferous beastie Euproops????

Lovely little fossil horseshoe crab there Andy. Is that from Mazon Creek?

neuropteris said:
I've long thought 'Creeping with Euproops' whilst perhaps lacking the dramatic impact of a T rex would still make great TV. Perhaps we'll see them scuttling out of the way of the Arthopleurid. :wink:

I think there should be a Precambrian episode called "Staring at Stromatolites". Cutting-edge TV with blockbuster ratings.

Bathing with Blue Green algae? The bbc should be paying us commission for all these new ideas!

The crab is Lancashire born and bred Phil and very nice it is too.

Andy

Phil said:
Crivens Jean! Are we talking about the same series here? Walking with Monsters has barely been announced by the BBC yet, I didn't know NZ was actually showing the darn thing. Well, was it any good?

yup twas from the beeb, we got all 3 parts at once as a "one off special" I'll try to find the time to watch it asap and give you my :twocents: for what its worth (given the exchange rate ~ about 0.5 pence!!!)

J

OK watched last night! Not too bad (not that I'm in any way shape or form qualified to discuss pre history!!) I like the idea of hitching a ride on an orthocone! But I won't comment too much cos I know that in some places its been shown as a 3 part series........but the animations and special effects were pretty good and I WANT a research vessel like the one they had!!!!!!

J

Ah....yep that was 2003's 'Swimming with Sea Monsters', not the new 'Walking with Monsters' series.

It was good fun, naturally Nigel Marvin encountered the biggest examples of each animal he bumped into. It would have been nice to see more trilobites at work in the Ordovician segment, but you can't have it all. The pin-hole camera type eyes was a nice touch and I was impressed that the animators did not give the nautiloid suckers, that would have been an easy mistake to make. Of course we have no idea how many arms Cameroceras really had, and that bendy syphon just looked, well, odd somehow.

I think the research vessel should dematerialised with a TARDIS sound effect, but it was good fun, I'm glad you enjoyed it Jean.

Jean said:
But definitely fun..................I wonder did the family of Mosasaurs congregating on the ship at the end, get it :twisted:

Well, since then, I have seen Nigel Marven in a documentary about Piranahas, so I can assume that somehow he escaped.

Jammy devil. :wink:

Just thought i'd jump in here - the company i work for makes all the Walking withs. Walking with Monsters is in the final stages of post production at the mo, to be delivered in a few weeks. I haven't been involved with that production so i can't remember all the creatures they're doing but i'm headed over to the other office in a bit so i'll check out if they're doing any ceph related stuff. From the bits i've seen so far it looks pretty darn good... :biggrin2:

Nik

Wow, thanks Nik! An insiders view....am really looking forward to this.

Here's a few pre-dinosaur episode suggestions for you you might like to pass on up the line:

Staring at Stromatolites
Filtering with Brachiopods
Grappling with Graptolites
Talking to Trilobites
Ambulating with Ammonites
Crawling through Crinoids

....er... that's quite enough of that..... :wink:

Perhaps a cross over with one of these home makeover shows -

Decorating with Dactylioceras :razz:

Seriously though, I'm really looking forward to the new Walking with Monsters and the current "Truth about Killer Dinosaurs" showing on the BBC has been good aswell. More please.

Andy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back