Suspected mercatoris (and if so..)

Stormlantern

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
Received the long awaited call from the LFS and picked up a little octopus that seems healthy. From what I can tell, he(?) looks most like O. Mercatoris, but I wasn't sure. Still waiting to hear from the guy about where they ordered from. Any thoughts? M/F, Species, etc.
Also if it is a mercatoris, I thought they preferred a smaller tank, and I have a 90 gallon with about 70 lbs of LR. I did see him(?) yesterday around 9pm by shining a red light for about 20 minutes with all other lights out. Am I going to have a constant hider, and is there anything I can do about it? Also any input on feeding a really small octo would be great. He rejected the tiny piece of krill I offered. I have some ghost shrimp in a freshwater tank, but they're pretty big compared to the octo.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting octo. The closeups seem to show a black dot above each eye, is this a valid and consistent observation? If so it would be an identifying clue but not common to O. mercatoris. It also appears to have a large unpigmented section along the dorsal side of the mantle. This is worrisome as the one time I have seen something similar happened because the animal was exposed to extreme cold. It would indicate a damaged area but may not be recent.

I would consider a smaller home if you can capture it without harm. If you can locate a cluster of giant purple barnacles, you might have success with a den choice for either observation or relocation.

Stormlantern

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
Update:
Still doing well, Marcus Aurelius (I'm just gonna assume male) has been I think crepuscular? I see him under red light at about 8:30pm and he's been taking some ghost shrimp, clam pieces and eventually frozen krill. I contacted the store about where he came from and they just told me "pacific" Well, that's not super helpful, so I'm just waiting for any identifying characteristics. I think I have a young one, but not totally sure. I had the tank at 74.5 F for the first few days, but after reading some posts here I turned off my fan and the temp climbed to 79.0 F over a few days, which I thought was closer to a tropical pacific environment. My dad took a picture under red light and managed to edit the colors so that the Marcus is much more visible

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bfishb

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards