• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Supernoob's 250 gallon tank buildout! Help!

Hey everyone! I just bought a 250 gallon acrylic tank with the intention of keeping an O. Cyanea in it. I am kind of at a loss about where to start so i was hoping to post some pics and maybe get some advice from you all. Oh and this is my first attempt with cephs. Wish me luck!

I am kind of at a loss about where to start

Hmmm, let me see, here is what i do:

1.. figure out where you want it
2. set it up
- a. tank on stand
- b. sump whereever it goes, usually under the tank
- c. run all hoses/pipes for return and pumps
- d. install pumps, protein skimmer, heater/chiller
- e. set-up lights(can be done later...)
- f. octo proof: make a lid, cover the return, check and cover any poteinal escape spots(can be done later..)
3.make/buy salt water, and fill the tank2/3 - 3/4 of the way
4. add your substrate (i use a mix of 'live sand' and aragonite sand 1lbs per gallon)125lbs of each in yours
5. add live rock (I use 1lbs per gallon) ie 250lbs for you
6. adjust water level so it is at the point where it is just starting to drain into the overflow.
7. fill the sump to the operating water level.
8. turn on the system
9. check for leaks and add water as needed.
10. cycle the tank
- a.slowly add cleanup crew and tank mates
- b.make sure to feed the tank so waste is produced which is needed to cycle the tank
three months later....
11. add octopus
12. buy another tank...because two is better than one...
13. repeat steps on new tank....

Take a look at some of the other tank build-outs for ideas. The beauty of acrylic is its flexibilty and weight, the down side is the scratching. As a note of caution, when you get to the point of putting in LR, do not let the LR TOUCH the viewing sides, it WILL scratch with even the slightest rubbing.

Play around with a few ideas on paper and decide how much work you want to put into the set up (taking into consideration your DIY skills and enjoyment). I think I mentioned that there is a sticky at the top of this forum with a list of links to different configurations that should give you some ideas. If you are not going to use a sump (and I would promote doing so) then figuring out how your filtration is going to work would be a good starting point.

My phone is far less sophisticated (but can probably uload photos if I tried to figure it out :oops:) so I can't help but I modified your post by putting a request for help title in hopes that one of our IPhone owners will see it and assist :winki:

It would be better if he can just upload photos to be directly hosted on TONMO, video though must reside elsewhere as we don't have hosting capability.

Try bluetooth! I'm probably not the best person to be giving technical advice...but as an untechi person bluetooth is awesome. Turn on the bluetooth device on your computer and phone, and between the phone and computer it should step you through the initial setup, the phone has to be recognized by your computer, and close (physically) to it. After initial set-up it's so easy, push a few buttons and there you go, no cords or anything! Being untechi I like to call it magic....really fast too! I have a Droid pretty sure iphones all have bluetooth.

:oops: told you I might not be the right person! You mean from your phone directly to Tonmo? If so than "Tapatalk" should do it, Tony can explain all that!

I'm not sure about with tappa talk, but from safari on the iphone it does not look like you can upload. easiest way would be to upload the picture to the computer and go from there like normal.

aefdc40b-defb-7c70.jpg
aefdc40b-df22-634e.jpg
aefdc40b-df44-6631.jpg

Finally! Thanks for the help. I used tapatalk. Now how should I plumb this beast?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back