Super Suckers: The Giant Pacific Octopus and Other Cephalopods of the Pacific Coast

Phil1078

Blue Ring
Registered
I am interested in purchasing a new Ceph book. I have Cephalopod Behavior and the new Octopus book.

Is Super Suckers any good?

Any recommendations?

I would love Cephalopods of the World, but that book is at about $95 right now

Phil, what kind of information are you interest in having in the book?

My most referenced book for short species information (if you can find a copy at a reasonable price, you will have to search) is Mark Norman's Cephalopods A World Guide and is the standard most researchers use for ID.

For care, Nancy and Colin's Cephalopods, Octopuses and Cuttlefishes for the Home Aquarium (comfortably priced)

For something more scientific, Roger Hanlon and John Messenger's Cephalopod Behaviour (again look for pricing)

For some early research reading (a must read IMO) Jacques Cousteau's Octopuse And Squid, The Soft Intelligence (inexpensive used copies readily available)

For something new out Jennisfer Mather, Roland Andersons and James Wood's (TONMO Ceph), Octopus, The Ocean's Intelligent Invertebrate (comfortable pricing)

For some early research reading (a must read IMO) Jacques Cousteau's Octopuse And Squid, The Soft Intelligence (inexpensive used copies readily available)

I got this book at D suggestion. I got the book for next to nothing the shipping was more than the book. its a good read and has some great pictures.

I also recommend The Silent World for a good picture on the beginning humans entering the water world for exploration. It will give you a feel for how far we have come in the last 75 or so years (Cousteau would be 100 but there were no snorkels, masks or fins at his birth). Some of the adventures make you wonder that we have gotten this far.

I have Cephalopod Behavior by Hanlon and Octopus by Wood, Mather and Anderson. How is the book that is the title of this thread?

I am really interested in a book covering cephalopod natural history or evolution.

I would love Cephalopods A World Guide but that bad boy is up to $95 on Amazon. A reprint would be awesome.

Phil,
I don't quite know the rules for editing a post for the everyday player :oops:. If you can edit I believe you can delete your own posts but you may have to have x number of posts to your credit before your can edit (or you may have to edit in a limited amount of time after posting). I deleted the duplicate but if you see an Edit Post to the left of Reply, you could have chosen to delete the duplicate.

I also think you should pick up Silent World and The Soft Intelligence :wink:

I cannot take credit for the find. dwhatley brought the site to my attention so the thanks fall there.

You can get that book for free my friend. Cephalopods of the world. An annotated and illustrated catalogue of cephalopod species known to date. Enjoy.

Now someone may have more information on it, but the book confuses me. If you look on Amazon, it says it is only volume 1. I have never heard of a volume 2 being made. It is kind of weird. So, it only goes through Nautilidae, Sepiidae, Sepiolidae, Sepiadariidae, and Idiosepiidae. Octopoda, Vampyromorpha, and "Teuthida" (which I don't think is a monophyletic order anymore).

Now, these are on my list:

The Brains and Lives of Cephalopods

Cephalopods

I am not sure if only a few copies were released or if they are just that good.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back