Super squid sex organ discovered - BBC News

Right... like this...

steve_spermatophores.jpg

Ummmmmmmmmmm. Terrible photo Tony (where on Earth did you find that); and .... we've even done this on several Discovery docos (with animatics to this effect also). I must read that paper.

Super squid sex organ discovered - BBC News

Re: the pic, it was recently posted over in one of the threads in the ceph care forums... :smile: all in the name of science!

Hmmm, how the heck would sir-long-dong go unnoticed in the Squid Science world?

I've always read that the male organs were basically "just another arm." So this news doesn't really shock me.

However it made me reflect on having a penis the entire length of my body.

Pro: Could lasso objects off shelves without getting up.

Con: Probably get stuck in the car door.

Pro: Fun to play with.

Con: Not so fun when the cat decides to play with it.

:bonk:

There is a video somewhere (research fails to relocate it but I am quite sure it was on YouTube) of Steve giving a demonstration ... :sagrin: Failing to find it, I linked to the photo that was subsequently posted and then reposted above. Really need to find that video ...

While it's always nice to see the more obscure species in the news (especially onychoteuthids - w00t), this isn't an entirely new finding... see attached. :roll:

Attachments

• conv_296618.jpg
    conv_296618.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 135
Certainly not new news!! George Jackson was working on M. ingens when I was doing my Masters (eons ago) and I was his research assistant, we regularly found similarly well equipped males, but as he was concentrating on age at the time, the length & weight were recorded and we moved on, I imagine the data is languishing in a notebook somewhere in Georges vast collection of data books!

dwhatley;159024 said:
How did you expect to get noticed when your paper says you are writing about beaks :roll:

I had to change the title when they rejected "Super squid sex organ discovered" :wink: ... guess it helps to be the president of CIAC! :grad:

The one part I'm not too keen on is the fact that when the squid is described as moribund, it still means alive. Cutting open the mantle of a live squid is about as bad as what happens on fishing vessels, on a daily basis. Do ethics come in at all, or am I just being silly, here? I'll go and hug a tree, now...

I was wondering about how it could have been dead and still reacted and looked back to see. I assumed "moribund" meant dead so I found it curious and decided it was likely NOT dead but assumed to be so. Now, looking up the definition, it could have been in any state since it was obviously "near death", having been placed on the dissection table.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back