• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Sump

muskox

Blue Ring
Registered
Dumb Question time,

OK, I am planning on setting up a sump this round but I don't really know how to go about it. I am also planning on getting a bigger tank and use my old one as the sump. All of my equiptment fits to my old tank so i was thinking maybe I would not have to buy all new stuff if I still kept the equiptment on the old tank.

As large as you want to make it really. Whatever size tank will fit in the stand. Just consider what you want to do with the sump, what equipment you want to run in it and how much space you will need in it to accomplish that.

If you want a good skimmer, these will be big. Choose your skimmer, then decide on a sump size that can fit this and everything else you may want to keep in it. If the sump is large enough, you can also section off a refugium.

Thanks Paradox!
I think I have got it now but feel free to post more.

Oh yeah, does anyone know where I could get my tank drilled? I asked at one of my LFSs and he said that nobody does that anymore.
Do I have to buy a pre drilled tank?

I think DHyslop and Paradox posted instructions for doing it yourself:

Overflow Boxes

I don't remember anyone having problems finding an LFS to do it before, and I'd also expect that a glass shop or a good hardware store might be able to as well.

I purchased glass hole drilling bits on ebay. They aren't the best quality, but will work for more than I need. Remember to DRILL SLOW with lots of liquid to cool the bit.

The sump needs to be large enough to hold the regular water level in the sump plus the extra water from the tank when the pump is off and the water drains down. I would suggest a 20 gallon for a 30/40 gallon tank only because anything smaller would not hold the drainoff.

Take a long time to plan your sump and get good bulkheads and it will payoff later.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back