• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

sump set up

Keith

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
so after lookin around and doin some research, i'm gonna try and build a sump tank. i just had a few quick questions:

how much space should i give the filter and skimmer in their own compartments?

should i put live rock in the sump, the tank, or both (and is fiji rock good)?

does gravity feed the sump input and a pump feed the return?

i appreciate any info you guys are willin to give. thanks for you time.

-Keith

im looking into getting a 38 gallon for the sump. and hopefully the "Reef Tank DIY sump tank" videos i found on youtube are good enough for an octo.

Make sure you can octoproof the overflow and return, that's the main difference. There are some posts about DIY sumps from a while back that have a lot of good ideas, I think they're in "tank talk" mostly. An important thing to keep in mind is making sure that if the pump fails, there's something to stop most of the water from draining or siphoning into the sump (or overflowing the sump!) so it's "fail safe" rather than "fail wet."

I'm not sure what file type is gonna show up so im just gonna throw em all in there. Let me get some opinions on this design. Tell me if theres any major flaws or anything im forgetting. Since my tank is only a 75 gallon anyways, i'm going to put all my live rock IN the tank so I can still fit everything in the sump, unless thats a bad thing that is.

The equipment im plannin on using in the sump is:
- This filter AquaCrylics.com is for sale | HugeDomains
- A SeaClone 150 gallon skimmer
- A Rainbow Lifegard Quiet One Aquarium Water Pump
(Not sure what model to get, if I could get an opinion on that too it'd be great. Below is the site i'll be gettin one from.) Search results for: '' - Bulk Reef Supply

Here's the design. Hopefully you guys can see one of these.

Photo and Video Storage | Photobucket

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f42/Slayer84092/mysumpdesign.jpg

mysumpdesign.jpg

But yea, let me know whats up guys. Take it easy.

-Keith

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back