SueNami Lassoing Shrimp

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
3531425.jpg
  • SueNami used a different hunting approach to catch this shrimp.
  • English

SueNami can't see anything closer than roughly 8 inches from his eyes and hunting live shrimp seems to be be good for him. He has been more interactive and less skiddish since we have been feeding the live shrimp a couple of times a week. Unfortunately, we only have two left and they are not easy to get (we brought these home from a trip to FL).

SueNami Lassoing Shrimp

I love SueNami. He's such a beautiful octopus. I wish I could have one (briareus). Watching him makes me feel relaxed all the way.
I just want to ask, I'm from Philippines. Do O. briareus also live here?

rowelly,

I have to agree that watching SueNami is true eye candy. Part of the extra octo charm of the species is in the grace of movement and part the stiking white body and webbing.

Briareus is very common to the Caribbean and specifically to the FL keys. At one time I found a distribution map (but fail to find it now) that showed them as being native to many other areas. However, the common name for this animal is the common reef octopus vs common octopus (vulgaris) and the map I saw (or my internet search) may have confused the names because doing a distibution search now, I only see the Caribbean.

Aculeatus is common to the philippines (and imported here) and make very good aquarium octopuses. They lack some of the almost mystic grace of the briareus but are human interactive and delightful if you would consider an alternative.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back