Suction Disks; Anatomy and Function

While handling my GPO this afternoon I noticed that there is a small hole at the center of each suction disk. When I touch the disks, what appears to be a valve like disk below the hole pulls inwards, allowing the hole to open up. I took a rough picture of it but I can't post it right now. I would've taken a video for better clarity but it was hard enough to get the picture. I think I have an idea as to the purpose of this hole, but could anyone tell me more about it and its function?

If i understood what you were describing correctly, as a valve-like disc below the hole pulling away from the hole when it wants to attach. Then it sounds to me like a plausible hypothesis for how exactly they are able to create suction on the arms so freely. But once again this is just my guess by what I think you were describing so i could be completely wrong.

Fwiw, that's what I thought too. Makes sense to me.

What would be interesting would be to discern voluntary vs involuntary movement, which in itself has its own meaning when it comes to octopuses.

Nancy;168101 said:
You're fortunate to be able to care for a GPO. Does it interact much? Some of them seem to.

Nancy

I've had two so far and both were/are very interactive. I'll try to post some pictures and videos tonight, but no promises. I can say this though, the one we have now is about half grown and already strong enough to pull my shoulder out of socket. Not the best pet for a small person lol.

Well if you accept the assumption that that hole has a diaphram behind it then it would be safe to say that when the suckers attach they bring in a small amount of water. Maybe there are sensory organs inside that function in much the same way as taste buds because it seems to me that they have to be able to taste or smell in some fashion since Iggy always gets active when i put mysis and brine shrimp in the tank and she is way back in her den where she could not see said shrimp.

Cephalopods do have organs somewhere inside either their mantel or buccal mass(spelling) that allows them to detect the "scent" of their prey. They also have the ability to "taste" via their suction disks.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back