Suction Disks; Anatomy and Function

Our last one reached a length of roughly 5' relaxed arm tip to arm tip. We keep them in a rectangular exhibit aproximately 1,000 gallons. Which in my opinion is far too small.

I dream of having a large tank able to handle such a beautiful animal! We were going to build a 1000 gallon tank down stairs but our kids are so little (not a good idea to have kids alone with large bodies of water) and in truth I told him I would much rather wait till we have a 1 story house so I can have a fish room where I can spend all day. I would love to be able to keep a GPO but I couldnt imagine the expense of running all of the equipment needed to run a tank big enough for it. Maybe when the kids are out of college. :tentacle:

:roflmao: A girl can dream.

As far as it being to small... depending on the demintions... I dont think it would be to small. I think it comes down to this... Aquariums only have so much space and while it would be great to have a long and deep 10000 gallon tank for one GPO the cost of up keep just really isnt do able. So they do what most people do. They make the best of what they have so the public can view these wonderful animals.

lol well the bare minimum requirents would only be expensive at first ie the tank and chiller. The only problem is you need water near 50F and that makes weekly water changes dangerous for the animal if you don't have a seperate vat with a second chiller. You could still do the same thing with an O. Cyanea. They would be much easier to keep. I am actually building a large system between 3,000 & 5,000 gallons when we move. It will take up the entire room floor to about four feet high. All four walls and floor concrete with a narrow viewing panel near the door with everything internal.

I believe Dr. Martin Wells was the first to prove chemical reception in octopus suckers. After a very quick google, I found this article that may help answer some of your questions but looking for key words with his name should bring up many more articles.

sk252006;168169 said:
As far as it being to small... depending on the demintions... I dont think it would be to small. I think it comes down to this... Aquariums only have so much space and while it would be great to have a long and deep 10000 gallon tank for one GPO the cost of up keep just really isnt do able. So they do what most people do. They make the best of what they have so the public can view these wonderful animals.

We have tanks large enough just have different ideas for them. The tank really is too small because when these animals are fully grown they will span the entire length and the width is even less. I agree about the cost but I truly feel that if you cannot provide the a suitable habitat for an animal then you shouldn't have them. Public or not.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back