Suction Disks; Anatomy and Function

Reaction score
While handling my GPO this afternoon I noticed that there is a small hole at the center of each suction disk. When I touch the disks, what appears to be a valve like disk below the hole pulls inwards, allowing the hole to open up. I took a rough picture of it but I can't post it right now. I would've taken a video for better clarity but it was hard enough to get the picture. I think I have an idea as to the purpose of this hole, but could anyone tell me more about it and its function?

Nancy

Staff member
Reaction score
You're fortunate to be able to care for a GPO. Does it interact much? Some of them seem to.

Nancy

Green_Tree

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
If i understood what you were describing correctly, as a valve-like disc below the hole pulling away from the hole when it wants to attach. Then it sounds to me like a plausible hypothesis for how exactly they are able to create suction on the arms so freely. But once again this is just my guess by what I think you were describing so i could be completely wrong.

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
Fwiw, that's what I thought too. Makes sense to me.

What would be interesting would be to discern voluntary vs involuntary movement, which in itself has its own meaning when it comes to octopuses.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sumit

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan