• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Substrate

Ive done a bit of research on old posts and the equipment list and I know a fine layer of sand is recommended...Ive two questions....

1) Since there is a million aquarium sands around, is there an in particular? Would kiddies play sand like that found in toys shops be ok or might this be treated with dodgy chemicals??

2) Would about 1 cm of sand be fine for bimac, bocki, aculeatus (spellin!?!) and brierus (spellin?!?! sorry!) Sine i dunno which one im gettin yet

Cheers

If you use an aragonite sand, it will help maintain a good pH. As for the depth, we recommend about an inch, which is about 2.5 cm.
Best is sand without sharp edges, not too fine.

Seach on aragonite and you'll find some discussions of this sand.

I've looked back at some of your post posts, and I can't find the one that tells how big your tank is. Can you remind us again, please! :smile:

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

Aragonite eh!! I had wondered when seein that stuff in the fish shop, I like a PH Buffer!! :smile:

My tank is 3ft X 1ft X 1.5ft so about 40-44 uk gallons and then sump must hold about 15 maybe more...maybe 20.

Must post some pics!! :biggrin2:

Hi again

I normally use a mix of B&Q playpit sand and either aragonite or coral sand/gravel, just a few hundfulls of the latter, enough to buffer the pH.

wash the play sand well, it takes ages tho

Cheers

Nice one Colin thought you'd mentioned usein some mad mixture!

May sound daft.....but what do you wash it in just loads of RO?? Swish it round till me hand falls off?? :lol:

Cheers mate

LOL nah, just rinse it in tap water, stick a couple handfull sinto a clean bucket, run under tap, swish about, pour out dirty water repeat repeat repeat... only stop when your head cant take any more beatings from the good lady for blocking the sink!

a wooden spoon will save your hands :smile:

have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A friend of mine has a good arrangement...a five gallon bucket with some holes drilled around the sides...fill about 1/3 with sand, insert garden hose, drink beer whilst moving bucket around from time to time as the silt rises to the top and comes out of the holes...leaving your clean sand at the bottom...
lazy greg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back