Stylet reference

bathypol

Wonderpus
Registered
Sorry to be such a bother with all these questions but I have just one more (for now :wink:) I am trying to find the first reference for stylets in octopus (supposed to be from around the early 1900's). The earliest I have been able to find is from the 1990's. Does anyone know of this reference?

Hmmmm.

There is a very thorough description of these structures in Eledone, pp. 490-491, in Isgrove (1909). LMBC Memoirs 18: 469-573 + 10 plates.

Many university libraries have this old memoir series, so it shouldn't be too difficult to lay your hands on it.

I'm taking as many morphometric measures of each specimen as I can along with pictures of each one. So hopefully something coincides with the age externally.

bathypol;135120 said:
I just wanted to thank you both for the references. I found the stylet and am now on my way to aging octopus. :smile: Thanks again :smile:

Are you going to try to validate any bands/rings you find by using stains at any point (unfortunately on live animals), and then extract them a known number of days post staining, post mortem?

You could then compare any banding/staining pattern with increments also left on the beaks.

There's a bit of literature out there on this already.

Steve O'Shea;135164 said:
Are you going to try to validate any bands/rings you find by using stains at any point (unfortunately on live animals), and then extract them a known number of days post staining, post mortem?

You could then compare any banding/staining pattern with increments also left on the beaks.

There's a bit of literature out there on this already.

I'd like to do that but unfortunately all my specimens are in a freezer. If I could get my hands on live individuals rather than bycatch from trawls, it'd be great. But right now I'm relying on whatever I can find.

I'll track you down some references; I understand the logistical problems here.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back