Stubs-O.hummelinki

I just got my hummelinki from saltwaterfish.com. He/she arrived in a ok packed box and wrapped in about 3 bags with metal clamps on the top. He is missing one arm that i can see right away and now you see where i got the name from. I acclimated him/her for about 3 good hours of sitting in the bag in the tank(i wasnt home until 3 hours later i had my brother put it in the tank). Then i drip acclimated him/her for about 2 hours until the bag was full with water that he/she was in. He/She is defiantly a hummelinki i saw the blue ring right when it was entered in the tank. He/she has about a mantle of 1.5 in. Also i think my star fish might of sensed the new addition to the tank because they both immediately came out of there little holes they were in. I got a few pics not very good and one video. He/she is breathing very hard. Thats normal right? He/She has been in the same spot sitting out in the open for about 15 mins. I am not sure how to link the video to here but you can look at the videos on tonmo and see it.

Attachments

• conv_303716.jpg
    conv_303716.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 90
  • conv_303717.jpg
    conv_303717.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 107
  • conv_303718.jpg
    conv_303718.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 95
She/he looks like hummelincki to me.:biggrin2: What color is the star on the left that looks green in the photo, neat color if it is not changed by the camera. I really think they know when there is an octo in the tank. I used to find my mercs in the 45 by locating them.

To up load a video, click on videos up at the very top (to the left of FORUMS). Select Upload videos in the menu at the left. Be sure you select Upload and not Add. Should you miss my warning you can change it on the resulting page but it will remove any comments you type in (you can copy them to your clipboard though and paste them back after switching if you remember).

Give it a title, add a comment, add a keyword or two and click the browse button. The rest should be familiar. It takes quite awhile and you can open another tab or browser if you want to continue doing something on TONMO but leave that tab alone until it finishes. When it finishes click on the link or go to the video from new posts, copy the URL and paste it back to your thread.

After all that, I see you figured it out ok, now add the link back here.

I am never comfortable with a new one until it has been in the tank two weeks. Heavy breathing for an extended period of time is worrisome, hopefully she/he is breathing more normally now. I always add an air stone to the acclimation bucket and I noticed Roy recommends the same to try to compensate for the fear and shipping water.

He/she has been sitting in the same spot now for about an hour. The heavy breathing has gotten lighter. He/She isnt changing much color kinda whitish/brownish. He/She is just hangin out on a rock in the open. Should i also worry about this? I have all the lights off. I do see Him/Her move his/her arms around and stuff but not moving his/hers whole body into the rock work.

I can never tell about acclimation trama (the shipping and changing of homes, not the physical water change part). Both my briareus exhibited similar behavior to this one for about a day but Maya was very active on her first day and immediately invesitgated her tank looking for food (she did a lot of nervous eating the first week). As a thought if she/he found something to eat, staying in one place for supper is normal. In any case, all you can and should do is sweat it out and not disturb your new resident. Offer it a shrimp on a stick tomorrow and see if it will take food. I have found that most of mine will easily take offered food while they are still nervous about their environment. Once they settle in, they have to be trained but initially any food is accepted.

Well stubs didnt make it through the night. He/She didnt look very good at the start right when he/she entered the tank. He/She was very pale and breathing hard. I think all the stress of shipping and then acclimating and then being put in the tank was a little to much for this little guy. Well i mean at least i didnt get attached to him or anything so thats good. Maybe next time i will try a reef scavenger octo because it did look like something was wrong with him/her.
:cry::cry::cry:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back