• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

striped pyjama squid

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
I've seen photos of this squid in books, but I never thought a TONMO member would show up with the pajama squid in his tank!

What's he like - looks like the quiet type. :smile:

Nancy

dingo

Cuttlefish
Registered
pj squid

he was about as big as a large peach and was very quiet spent most of his time under the sand but i thought you guys would like to see what we can get over here just of the beach

thefoma

Larval Mass
Registered
Beautiful little guy- one of my favorites as you can probably tell from my avatar.
Big as a peach you say! I always thought they were like the cuttles from Vancouver Island- just a couple inches long.
Very exciting

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
cool!

How long did you have it for? did it die or get let go again? Did it eat in captivity?

did i say cool?

PS start looking for their eggs! They'd ship well to Scotland :)

dingo

Cuttlefish
Registered
Unfortunately he died, collected him along the beach and died before i could get the other tank up and running properly, but was eating and hunting well. I believe they are quite common in the area we were, I just happened upon him while scouring the rocks on the reef. He was in very shallow water, and i think that is their preferred territory rather than under 2 feet of water, so I probably wouldnt take another one home, as beautiful as they are.

oscar

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
wow i am certainly jealous - we get them around south east queensland as well but i havent got a diving licence - i believe they have been kept successfully in captivity so maybe a set up dedicated tank would be a good investment if you want!

did dr oshae keep them? i cant remember who it was!

Members online