• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Stressing cuttle

Well, not really recommended but if you must.

There is no must here. Everything proposed in this thread is a choice. The choice to set up a saltwater tank for a short time, and then move it, and then move it again is completely avoidable and I see no compelling reason to do it and intentionally put an animal through stress and/or death. I understand really wanting a cuttle, but there are lots of things we really want that we don't get because we can't ethically take care of them. Keeping animals in a classroom often runs into this kind of problem, and I think the more important lesson is respect for the animals over experimentation.

I haven't gotten any responses regarding how much experience with saltwater that asid61 or asid61's teacher has, but it feels like none. If that is the case, I would strongly urge them to cut their 'saltwater teeth' on a different, easier animal.

From http://www.tonmo.com/forums/announcement.php?a=6

1. TONMO.com respects the lives of cephalopods.
At TONMO.com, our first priority is to provide free exchange of information for the betterment of the lives of cephalopods. Therefore, anyone interested in the mistreatment of cephalopods is not welcome on TONMO.com.

Be aware that raising an cephalopod is hard work. It takes a good amount of knowledge in both saltwater aquariums and also the particulars of cephalopod care itself. TONMO.com articles and forums offer an abundance of content for you to study before considering owning your own -- we strongly encourage all people interested in having a "pet" cephalopod to gain substantial experience with saltwater tanks first, while also deeply studying cephalopod care and cephalopods themselves. Remember that there is no shame in deciding not to own a cephalopod as a pet.

In addition, we do not condone any cephalopod “experiments” (e.g., unresearched / potentially dangerous tank mates, behavior experiments which may result in ceph's discomfort, etc.) without a) having some credentials to back it up, b) having the proper facilities to do so, and c) clearly stating a purpose and outlining all safety measures and monitoring procedures to ensure the “well-being” of the cephalopod is not at any level of undue risk.

Well I hate to say this but if you get 3 dwarf cuttlefish to live for 3 months then you are more of the expert than I am. Thales is the more experienced person at keeping dwarf cuttlefish alive and it would be best if you take his advice. But they are your cuttlefish, try not to kill them. Keep in mind, STRESS kills . Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back