Stranded Sepia

"Behaviour" may not be the best place to put this photo, but here is a stranded Sepia seen in an Omani lagoon the day before yesterday. The cuttlefish had travelled 4.2 km from the tidal inlet to the head of an intertidal lagoon on the Bar Al Hikman Peninsula. It became trapped as the tide fell and was desiccating in the sun, stained black by its ink.

Attachments

• conv_304368.jpg
    conv_304368.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 132
Here's a view of where the cuttlefish became trapped, looking south from the landward side of the lagoon (there's a group of flamingoes some way back).

I'm not sure if this succulent is Salicornia Ob, but I've attached a detail. I found this on Omani halophytes. It looks as if that plant may be Arthrocnemum macrostachyum. Another whole area to learn about.

Attachments

• conv_297533.jpg
    conv_297533.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 169
  • conv_297534.jpg
    conv_297534.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 135
  • conv_297535.jpg
    conv_297535.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 118
What a cool "treasure" to find on the beach. I was excited to find cuttlebones in SE Australia, but this is way better!

Nice photos, too.

It looks so much like an edible glasswort, is it tasteworthy, at all? 45 seconds in boiling water is all you need to be sure :wink:

PS: Going quite a bit out of its way, all that way "upstream"

Thanks Ob. I'll try eating that plant next time I'm down there.

The cuttlefish would have been swept along that lagoon (leaving the inlet mouth far behind) by the flood tide (tidal range here is about 2 m) and then left high and dry by the ebb.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back