• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Stranded Sepia

Hajar

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
"Behaviour" may not be the best place to put this photo, but here is a stranded Sepia seen in an Omani lagoon the day before yesterday. The cuttlefish had travelled 4.2 km from the tidal inlet to the head of an intertidal lagoon on the Bar Al Hikman Peninsula. It became trapped as the tide fell and was desiccating in the sun, stained black by its ink.

Attachments

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
There's a stark beauty to this picture. Is that Salicornia, by the way?

Hajar

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Here's a view of where the cuttlefish became trapped, looking south from the landward side of the lagoon (there's a group of flamingoes some way back).

I'm not sure if this succulent is Salicornia Ob, but I've attached a detail. I found this on Omani halophytes. It looks as if that plant may be Arthrocnemum macrostachyum. Another whole area to learn about.

Attachments

ckeiser

GPO
Supporter
What a cool "treasure" to find on the beach. I was excited to find cuttlebones in SE Australia, but this is way better!

Nice photos, too.

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
Haunting photo Hajar, I was confused when I first saw it thinking it was a plate from an old book, which made no sense with the title :grin:

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
It looks so much like an edible glasswort, is it tasteworthy, at all? 45 seconds in boiling water is all you need to be sure :wink:

PS: Going quite a bit out of its way, all that way "upstream"

Hajar

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Thanks Ob. I'll try eating that plant next time I'm down there.

The cuttlefish would have been swept along that lagoon (leaving the inlet mouth far behind) by the flood tide (tidal range here is about 2 m) and then left high and dry by the ebb.

Members online

No members online now.