Still not eating

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by 1blackchicken, Feb 23, 2008.

1. 1blackchicken

1blackchicken Cuttlefish Registered

So I added some snails and some smaller hermit crabs and a fiddler crab to my tank and my octopus is still not eating any of them. Is there something that I am still doing wrong or another food that I should try? This is pretty frustrating and I am concerned that it is not doing very good but since it never comes out (even check periodically through out the night with red light) I cant really seem to tell whats going on. Sorry for all the questions but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan

2. Octavarium

Octavarium Wonderpus Registered

Sorry if this has been asked before, but how old is he to the best of your knowledge. Also have you tried shrimp or scallop pieces on a stick? Also if you haven't already try placing the hermits as close to him or his den as possible.

3. 1blackchicken

I have had it for about a month and it was in the lfs for about a week before I got it and thats about all that I know. He is very small and was sold to me as a dwarf which according to the ID forum he is unfortunately not. He is about the size of a silver dollar. I am going to try pieces of shrimp today probably and everything that I have tried to feed it so far I have put right in front of its last know hiding spot with no luck.

4. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

You may have mentioned this in the other thread, but checking your water params and doing water changes is part of the "standard advice" for the "octopus isn't eating" question (we should probably put that in the FAQ.) The other "standard answer" to "shy octopus," though, is to try to be patient and let your octo get comfortable, and it's likely to come out more when it's ready...

5. 1blackchicken

Yeah I already checked the water parameters and have been doing weekly water changes. I am not really too concerned with the fact that it wont come out but rather that it seems like it has not been eating.

6. SandV

SandV Wonderpus Registered

what is the temp of your tank running at...

7. 1blackchicken

It is usually between 78-80 which is the same that the lfs was keeping it at and told me to keep it at. Is that the wrong temperature?

8. dreadhead

dreadhead Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

I would keep it around 74 to 76.Unless its a Bimac,than mid 60s (I think).

9. 1blackchicken

ok I will turn off the heater and see if I can lower the temp. Any other suggestions? I also tried shrimp and scallops on a stick with no luck to that as well.

10. dreadhead

I would change the temp slowly.Try not to make it a rapid change in temp.What kind of lighting do you have?

11. 1blackchicken

I have a 70w MH light that is on for about half the day and then I just use my LED moon lights for the rest of the day and nothing at night except for a red flash light periodically.

12. dreadhead

I believe any mh is too much light.I have a 45w fluorescent on mine.

13. 1blackchicken

Do you think that the bright light during the day would prevent it from coming out even at night? Should I try to leave it off for a day and see what happens?

14. dreadhead

Not only do they not like bright light,It can harm their eyes.

15. dreadhead

I would use less light.But you may want to wait for someone else to chime in.

16. 1blackchicken

Ok I will see if anyone else has anything to add. Thanks for all of your help so far though. I have the light set towards the front of the tank so the whole back of the tank where it hides out is all in the dark/shade and it does not get any direct light if that helps at all.

17. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Yes, any metal halide is too much light - octopuses really don't need any extra light, but we usually put a not too powerful light on the tank. This is so we can see, our coralline algae will grow, etc.

Blue moonlights (which are the standard) may be agitating, too. You could use red, but not blue.

Nancy

18. 1blackchicken

I have blue and white moon light so would having just the white ones on be just as agitating?

19. SandV

I would have been more worried that the temp was too low... lowering the octos metabolism... but that sound fine...

20. SandV

I think the light could effect him not coming out... but I think the real problem is him not eating... but if he is as small as I am thinking my guess is that he is eating pods...