staying on the side

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by alexfevery, Oct 30, 2006.

1. alexfevery

alexfevery Cuttlefish Registered

Hi,

Ive just added a few fish and a large starfish to one of my octopus tanks. all of a sudden he now will not use his cave and spends the entire day and night stuck to the side of the glass in the corner, there is plenty of hiding spots for him but he wont use them. Ive never seen an octopus do this. also, he seems to try and copy the exact shape of the star fish which is stuck on the side right next to him, and he seems to always stay next to it. anybody know what could be going on?

alex

2. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

I am totally speechless.

3. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

What type of fish? The octopus may be scared, or intimidated by the fish. Try removing the fish.

4. alexfevery

sorry i should have mentioned that, that was the first thing i tried. I took out the starfish and he goes back in his cave, the fish dont bother him, but the starfish does for some reason, even though it moves about an inch every 10 minutes and looks just like a rock, He folows it around staying to is right and always holds his arms in the exact same position as the starfish. Myquestion should have been, is there a way to keep the starfish and octopus in the same tank that anybody can think of.

5. alexfevery

What, just cause I have some experience I can't ask questions too?

6. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Lots of people have kept starfish and octopuses together. Sometimes the octopus will be a little rough with the starfish, but generally they can live in the same tank.

Nancy

7. cthulhu77

This is me, still speechless. Wow.
    My comment had nothing to do with the starfish gambit at all...I usually keep serpent stars in the octo tanks. Fish? Fish? What??????

8. alexfevery

thanks for the replys.

"Sometimes the octopus will be a little rough with the starfish, but generally they can live in the same tank." Nancy

aprently not these two, the octopus killed it while i was away from home. he seems to be hiding in his normal place again but
    RIP starfish :(,
    he must have been chewing on it or somthing.
    Ive kept octopuses and certain kinds of fish together succesfuly but id never tried starfishes before. Ive found that pretty much any fish that you can net up in a tide pool will get along with an octopus fine.

9. cthulhu77

I find that very, very, very, very, very, very hard to believe.

Fish have a tendency to "mob" an octopus, much like doves or starlings do to a hawk, driving it to distraction...and in the confines of a small tank, lead the octopus to odd behaviour.

10. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Well Greg, you might stand to learn something here :wink:

11. cuttlegirl

What kind of sea star was it? Some give off chemicals into the water...

12. DrBatty

DrBatty GPO Supporter

I have a chocolate chip starfish in with my O. Aculeatus....I didn't think it was a big deal either....till the octo saw it.
    REALLY pissed him off, and did the same mimic you were talking about earlier. spent a few days trying to pry the starfish off the glass, and also moved his den. they've been fine since, but it was weird at first....perhaps it's the shape of the star.

13. Brock Fluharty

Brock Fluharty Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Also, starfish aren't fish. They're invertebrates.

14. alexfevery

"Fish have a tendency to "mob" an octopus, much like doves or starlings do to a hawk, driving it to distraction...and in the confines of a small tank, lead the octopus to odd behaviour."

not in this case, im sure because ive tried keeping these kind of fish with octopuses before. and I kept them out of his tank for 2 days, and he still was follwin the starfish, it was definately the starfish.

Im not sure what kind of starfish it was, it was redish with hairlike stuff on its back and little white lumps.

also, what kind of starfish have people tried sucsessfuly with octopuses? Id like to get one, I guess I should probably buy a certain species though, I want one that does not grow beigger that 5 inches in diameter and that the octopus will get along with?

15. Brock Fluharty

Brock Fluharty Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

16. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Serpent Starfish....The one in Squiggles tank has lived with probably 6 other octopuses over the years. I think I have had this one for 4 years.

17. cuttlegirl

Did you collect the sea star in Southern California? If so, the most common sea stars are these:

1. bat stars (Asterina (or Paterina) miniata), which are smooth on top and have webbing between the arms.

2. ochre stars (Pisaster ochraceus) which come in orange, purple and yellow. They have white knobs or spikes all over their body and are fuzzy in between the white knobs.

3. giant stars (Pisaster giganteus) which also has spines, but its spines are surrounded by blue

There are others, but those are the most common...

Attached Files:

18. alexfevery

"What kind of fish? The kind that replaces your skimmer?"
    no, its a small tan tidal pool fish with a small beak solid color except for a white spot on the top and its top fin has a blue or red streak, depending on gender i think.

I dont think it was the marble star, it may have been the orcher star, yes i did collect it in southern california.

but what sea star would one recomend?
    and where might i order it.
    thanks

19. Danthemarineman

Danthemarineman O. bimaculoides Registered

I keep a lot of serpent stars and brittle stars in my octo tanks. I also have a bunch of fish in these tanks. I have had no problems with them.