starting my Sepia officinalis cuttlefish tank

Mike Bauer

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Hello all, If the information on the cuttlefish I just received is true then it is a Sepia officinalis cuttlefish. I am treating it as such, cooler water. For now it is in a 30 gal tank, in a breeder net. Cooler water temp (68 degrees) the rest of the stats are normal. It is 3 days old and more active than my dwarf cuttlefish. It seems to like to swim around more. Later I will catch him in a clear cup so I can see the front of him/her. Hasn't started eating yet shrimp are in with it now.

The shop will call me after they get the other eggs in. Will try to get 2 more. I am going to need a bigger house! :madsci:

Mike Bauer

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Well, The cuttlefish itself lived for about 5 days and died. The place I ordered from said they will be getting in another cluster of egg within a few weeks and will send me my back order. I have drained and cleaned the 30 gal starter tank and drove to the place i use to get my water from in Dayton, when I kept them in the past. The water there I know for a fact is good. But, Yes later in life if all goes well I will purchase a tank like that and use it to keep them when they get bigger.

Mike Bauer

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Still waiting, no luck on the eggs yet. But I also found a 12 foot round 4 foot deep pool today with filter for 129.00. That might work out well for an enclosed outdoor cuttlefish tank with a water bed heater to keep the temp 50 - 60 degree in the winter with a added heater to keep the room warmer. I might make a back porch to enclose a small pool or tank. We will see if I get the cuttlefish I want to keep. I need to win the lotto and move into the ocean. :read:

Mike Bauer

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Well still no luck on the larger cuttlefish. One can only hope someday they will appear again. I would love to know were Octopets got eggs from and what he had file to get them in the US.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mcorbell

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak