Starting my journey.. Hopefully. Help?

Discussion in 'Sources for Cephalopods and Food' started by RogsFightMoney, Jun 16, 2017 at 10:56 PM.

1. RogsFightMoney

RogsFightMoney Larval Mass Registered

So, I'm very new to saltwater aquariums, and I could use a few pointers, considering I'd eventually like to own an octopus once my tank is suitable for my own ceph. The biggest problem is actually finding a reliable source. I recently purchased a 75 gallon tank, and I just want to make sure I find a breed that won't outgrow its tank. So, if anyone could give me any pointers as far as a source/availability goes, that would be great. (Ideally looking to purchase within the next 3-4 months)

tonmo likes this.
  2. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Sources are alway a problem and pretty much hit or miss. Do note that a new tank needs an absolute minimum of 3 months active cycle time before introducing a high waste producing like a ceph. For the sake of talking to your local fish store (as you will not likely find one that has ceph knowledge), it is comparable to housing a couple of large fish vs the pronouncement that your tank is cycled and ready to start adding a few fish.

All the stickies (yellow threads at the top of the forum) in the Octopus Care Forum will be helpful but I like to recommend new keepers to start their reading from the links in the Posts with Info for New Octo Keepers thread. The "Box of Chocolates" post should give you a good idea about what species are commonly available along with a few notes about each one.

3. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator