• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Starting my first octo tank

Ulmo21

Larval Mass
Registered
Hello everyone!
I've been running my 55 gallon tank now for a liitle over a year. I've got some cool stuff but am ready for a new challenge. I am thinking to start my first octo tank. I really want to do it in my 10 gallon. I haven't found anyone taking this approach before but wanted to see what you all thought. It would have:

Eheim 2211 or 2213 canister filter
Visi-jet protein skimmer
regular flourecents
1" live sand
15-25# live rock(not sure what kind yet)

I'm sure i would add other goodies as i go but this would be in my initial startup budget. I've spoken with the local pet store where they keep octos as a hobby and we have arranged a deal so when my octos outgrow the 10 gallon they will trade me for a new baby octo.

Does anyone think this is feasable or am i being unrealistic?
Thank you for all your great posts and articles!

Ulmo21

spartacus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
good evening young'n & :welcome: to TONmo
goodluck with your octoquest to which I can be of no assistance as I am into the dead fossiliferous cephalopods :ammonite:
Eheim good filters though, had for my :snail: sorry that's incorrect :goldfish: there, fish !

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Welcome!

I run my tanks with Eheims, protein skimmer and a bubble filter with carbon. Only thing is how bout upgrading that tank size? They grow pretty quick and unless they can guarantee a dwarf, which most shops can't, your octo is going to outgrow that size tank really quick!

Good luck!!!

Carol

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Hi and welcome to TONMO.com!

I'm afraid you are being a wee bit unrealistic. Even if you kept it only for a couple of months, you'd need at least a 20 or 30 gallon tank. What if you grew attached to your octopus and didn't want to give it up after two months? (you'd be surprised how much people like their octos) - you'd have no larger tank cycled and ready.

Nancy

Members online

No members online now.