• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Starting from Scratch

articwoolf

Hatchling
Registered
So I am new to salt water anything. I have had fresh for many years but have also worked with some very large salt water animals, mamals and other marine life. I am thinking about starting up my first salt water tank and working my way to getting an octopus. I have worked with several from cali to seattle.
I am totally starting from scratch on this one. What I mean by that one is first comes in the brand new water heater. I have no problem getting that one what I am wondering is what would be good to use to purify the water coming out of said water heater? I want to be able to know everything starting from themost basic and taking it nice and slow and reading everything but I did want help with this one question.

:welcome: You're from South Dakota? My in-laws are from Sioux Falls... Not sure what you mean by purify... do you mean what kind of filter or what kind of water? If you can get your hands on RO/DI water, that would be a good start.

Much to my surprise, there is an aquarium society in South Dakota. This may be a good place to lurk. http://www.sfaas.org

I don't know what happened to my post but it seems to have disappeared :cry: (and I almost lost it yet again), the following is more or less what I wrote.

As @cuttlegirl mentioned, we strongly encourage RO/DI (RO - reverse osmosis - for filtration and DI - deionization - for removal of metals and minerals) for any marine aquarium. Aquarist either purchase it from their local fish store (bringing your own containers makes it most reasonable), from a store like Wal-Mart (many Wal-Marts have stopped selling it in the last couple of years though) or make it from your tap water with a home RO/DI unit. In all cases you will want a TDS (total dissolved solids) meter to be sure the filters being used are being changed regularly. Most home owners prefer to make it at home but apartment dwellers often purchase. You will need to use this for both making your saltwater for water changes as well as for topping off your tank from evaporation (salt does not evaporate so evaporation is replaced by freshwater). If you purify the water at home, you will use cold, not hot water. If you store it outside, you can use an aquarium heater to warm it or bring it indoors the day before. Room temperature is usually acceptable for desolving salt and top off water unless you keep the house below about 72 degrees.

Thank you @cuttlegirl I will look them up. :smile:
Mostly I'm looking for a whole house filtration system that can be installed with the new water heater as where I live already has horrid water. I tend to get water right now from the store to use but as my two tanks here are 45gal and 90 gal that is just getting harder and harder to do. So I would love to find something that will filter both hot and cold water.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back