• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Starting a Cuttlefish Tank

Hi, my name is Phillip and I'm the Water Quality Curator for the Cabrillo High School Aquarium. We're one of the only school in the US to have a fully operational aquarium.
Its required for every senior at my school to create some sort of project. I've been debating over what I should do, and I've decided to start a cuttlefish habitat to add to our aquarium.
I've been doing research and have found some very good information, but I still have some questions.

1. If any at all (I know there are few), what kind of other fish could I add to the habitat?
2. I realize the specimen I've been researching (Sepia Bandensis) live in warmer regions, but what type of areas? Coral reefs, sandy bottoms, ect?
3. What is the percentage of Cuttlefish hatching from eggs?
4. Do cuttlefish reproduce well in captivity?

Thanks! I hope we can all help each other with any of our problems!

Thales has been posting progress on the tank he developed at the California Academy of Sciences and that journal should be a great starting place (you will need to read the entire, albeit short, thread but most of what you are looking for is current for the topic and discussed).

Richard (AKA Thales) has also contributed an older article that you will find helpful

Education at its best!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back