Start Up

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing this experience. Sorry it didn’t turn out more positively. Please let us know anything more you find out, such as your water parameters.

Nancy

NeilU

Pygmy Octopus
Supporter
Reaction score
The "corkscrew" arm tips are almost always a sign of impending death either from senescence (which correlates with the behavior change), foul water or stress. She may well have already laid eggs and was captured in her end days (often the coloration will be a whitish grey and the mantle will be quite floppy and difficult to control). I suspect this is the case but immediately check your water for ANY ammonia or nitrites to be sure the problem is not that you need more bacteria. Also check the salinity.
ammonia 0-.25, 0 nitrites & salinity @ 1.025
Water seems fine

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss. Thanks for documenting all of that. D, point taken / agreed on the corkscrew arms being problematic, but is senescence seen without the octopus also turning white?
Not all animals lose their ability to color in senescence (at one time @Neogonodactylus dobuted that this is a senescent sign - I think now he agrees it is common but may not have been with the species he most often works with in the lab). IMO, the cork screw arms are always a sign of severe stress but senescence is one of the factors that could cause it.

cincyjim

Hatchling
Registered
Reaction score
I'm very sorry for your loss. I do have a question for you though, did you plumb the Octo tank to your 180 sump or are they independent of each other?
Thanks,
Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michaelk981

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak