• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Stand for a 280g aquarium

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
This 72" x 24" stand was built for a local marina owner for his new 280 gallon aquarium. We built a 24"x24" cherry stand as a present from him to his grand daughter, she got a Redsea max for Christmas (I built the small stand in January). He loved the small stand so much that he wanted a big one for himself. And so we did this:

The 2x2 supports are Spanish cedar and the plywood is cherry veneer and the face, trim, and doors are solid cherry milled down from a log to get perfect wood grain and a quality.

1-1.jpg

first a frame is built with plywood on the bottom, top, and sides, and with Spanish cedar supports. It could have been done with all plywood but we wanted it extremely strong. Heck just the water in the tank weighs 2,500 pounds, plus glass and rock, That's small car in weight.

2-1.jpg

Once the frame was built and supports were all in place we laid it on the back and built a solid cherry face for the stand. First we cut planks off the rough cut log, then we plane those down to perfect boards, then we assemble them with glue, then sand it down perfect, and then we mount the whole thing to the frame as one piece.

3-1.jpg

After the face was done it was time to work on the doors. Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures of the doors being made. But they are glued together and made from solid cherry, just like the frame. The only difference is joints we use to glue the doors together.

6-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

Then the doors are hung using brass hinges that will match the handles, I wanted to use stainless, you know cause of corrosion. But they do look good.

7-1.jpg

And with all three doors hung. We do the trim which is again milled down then routered to the customers taste, in this case a very simple but classic design. We actually matched a book case that is already in the room where this stand is going.

8-1.jpg

Once all the trim is fabricated and installed its time for staining. It took several coats and all day to stain this monster inside and out. Once the stain was dry the handles were also mounted.

9-1.jpg

We also cut holes in the top for the plumbing to come through the bottom of the tank. Then as a last minute decision, by the customer, we seal the back with removable panels.

9-1.jpg

Done.

Absolutely stunning! Don't forget to post a pic when the tank is in place! Do you have a picture of the cherry log?

When I saw the thread title I was wondering where you were going to put a 280 gallon tank since you are self proclaimed wall to wall tanks as it is :biggrin2:

That's one of the most beautiful stands I've ever seen. Great job, and thanks for sharing.

One question: Without any diagonal supports or plywood sheeting reinforcing the 90 degree joints in the front or back, isn't wracking (folding/collapsing) to the left or right a danger, especially considering that a 280 gallon tank will weigh as much as many cars (2500 lbs)? I live in earthquake country, so sometimes the floor sways back and forth a little, and a tank stand needs to resist rhythmic lateral force and keep its shape without cracking. (we had a little earthquake here about three hours ago in fact)

Thanks. It was quite the project. It took about about a week to build.

The face frame adds a ton of support, it is actually stronger and thicker than plywood because it solid wood that is 1" thick. and on the back it is covered in plywood, 3/4" cherry. The back panel is ecrewed into place but is removable so the sump could be installed. In addition to the plywood and solid face frame I added hurricane brackets at all the 90's in the frame. Is it earthquale proof? Heck if I know, The cabnet weighed a few hundered pounds and felt solid as rock to everyone. Thank god we never get quakes down here! LOL.

Are you going to add a protective coating? If so what? I ultimately need to strip my doors and cabinet fronts that are in front of the sink. I would like to put something extra water resistent on them that won't disguise the wood and has a no/low gloss finish. It maybe that they just did not have enough varnish/polyUrethane as the ones we have built and added don't show wear but these get the brunt of the sink mishaps and are badly in need of getting on my project list.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back