Squirt- O. Bimaculoides

My bimac loved to shake hands, too. He would climb right out of the water to grab onto my fingers. Just don't let him get his mouth near your fingers--bimac bites are not fun!

Dan

DHyslop;152397 said:
My bimac loved to shake hands, too. He would climb right out of the water to grab onto my fingers. Just don't let him get his mouth near your fingers--bimac bites are not fun!

Dan

Ya i didnt know how close he was to possibly biting me when we were getting acquainted.

This is what Mr. O did to my finger. One bite, but he just clamped on for at least a minute before my wife came downstairs and distracted him with a crab.

lat.jpg

Well i came home from my 1 week camping trip in joshua tree and saw squirt sitting out. I went to get him a crab and went to hand it to him and he inked at me. So I tried to touch his tentacle with it so he could grab on it, but it turned out one of his tentacles were stuck under the mag float. He was so freaked out he ripped about 1.5 inches of tentacle of one of his arms. He then went and hid behind the rocks. I pushed the crab to him he grabbed it and is sitting behind the rock right now eating it. He must of some how pushed it up enough to get it under and i did not notice it. I did see him do a little bit of cork screwing but he still looks ok. Will he be ok and should i do any thing? PLEASE HELP!

Mixed thoughts on this. Most people would say let it heal without intervention since arms are particularly resilliant. Squirt is young and should have a healthy immune system.

That being said, I have seen infection with a couple of mine and have chosen to intervene by dissolving a little Tetracycline (available for fish on-line and in a well stocked aquarium store without a prescription) in water and injecting it into food for 10 days. The amount that gets injected is arbitrary and simply guess work. I use 10 days based upon the human norms because it is the time for killing the bacteria and not related to the receiver. The unknown is that where I have been successful with this approach I have no idea if doing nothing would have had the same result. Where I have failed has always been during senescence and I don't know if starting treatment earlier would have mattered. I do know that I would do it again in both cases except for an older animal I would start it at the very suggestion of swelling rather than waiting as I did with Ohtoo. Once they stop eating you cannot treat, topical is darn near impossible to try with an octo (and only slightly more feasible with seahorses) and water treatments are a big NO.

With that being said i think i will run to my LFS tomorrow and try and get some. I just hope squirt will take the shrimp. I have also tanken out the mag float. Has any one else had that happen to them?

No other reports of mag float injuries and other have reported their octos playing with or stealing them (I believe it was Nancy's Ollie that would call her by getting the outside section to fall on the floor with a loud thump). I suspect size has a lot to do with it but, thinkiing about it, several people, including Animal Mother with Kayso have reported mysterious arm damage where no impellers were exposed. You might have just found an answer to at least some of these mysteries.

I was thinking he was probably trying to play with it and realized he could pick it up. He just got enough arm underneath it then it magnetized back to the other one and squished it. Thats what i am thinking. Those will no longer be in my octo tanks.

Now i am freaking out and i am not even home to freak out. I was leaving to go to the air port and saw squirt out for the first time since losing some of his tentacle. When i saw him he had lost what looked like another whole tentacle!!! I am not postive that he lost another one but i just saw him for about 20 secs. Is it possible that the stress of getting caught under the mag float made him chew off his other tentacle?

So he now has 6? Be worried, but not too worried. I was reading of someone who has just received a 2 armed octo, and I believed it lived. Just keep watching and see if any more go missing.

Did you start Squirt on an antibiotic? The only time I had an issue with arm eating was with skin infection (Octane after escape and too much air exposure). When you get home, check to see if it is the damaged arm or a different one or if what you really saw was not really the case at all (my hope!).

Well i got home and he looks good. My mom was in charge of feeding when i was gone and she said he only had that one little tip missing. His color looks good a little pale. I am not treating with medication yet, i want to see how bad it is then decide.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back