SQUIDCAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it was nice meeting you Lady TTF
div17.gif

When you did that, I cracked up laughing. :roflmao:

It was my wife's first visit's to the SquidCam and she wanted to know how to extend the range on the camera's controls to look around the rest of the room :mrgreen:

A couple of questions here:
How big will the broad squid be when you have to release them, and what is their final adult size? :?:

--Carl - saying pleasedtameetcha to Lady TTF
per31.gif
per19.gif
per124.gif

I'm removing the egg mass today, placing it in a separate container, and placing the protein skimmer in the sump. The tank will look rather empty, but in a few weeks the squid should be more obvious (they're moving everywhere - some hovering near the bottom, some at the top).

Sorry for being quiet of late; there are a few things happening that have kept me offline.

Tomorrow I'll probably move from a mysid to an estuarine fish for prey. I've long-since forgotten how old these things are - they've actually proven the least difficult to maintain of any (thankfully), and have almost been neglected - but you will start seeing some rather sudden differences in behavior and size over the next week or so. They've certainly grown in recent weeks!

Kat (aka Lady TTF) and I went for a rather pleasant dive last weekend and did collect another bunch of eggs (and Kat even saw her first live octopus in the wild :smile: , after I'd promised her she would for many years), and I should be fishing tomorrow night, again, so you should see some interesting things happen over the next few weeks. In the interim I'm afraid I'll continue to be rather quiet though. It will all be worth it in the end.

Well, it took ~ 0.0002 of a second for the squid to attack the fish (Gambusia affinis), so obviously they were ready for considerably larger prey (the fish easily 1-1.5 times the length of the squid).

At last count 3 of the 4 squid were dining away; the 4th, the smallest, might need mysid shrimp for another week.

You should start seeing a massive jump in their growth rate now, and they'll be considerably easier to see (not always hiding up the very top [where the tank curvature distorts the image] - they'll move through the water column). Another 30-or-so days and I'll put them on juvenile yellow-eyed mullet (Aldrichetta). I also bumped the temperature up another 1°C, so it is currently running at 20°C (I started some weeks ago at 16°C and have periodically increased it a degree at a time).

That is the coolest thing I have ever seen! Didn't realize it was possible to control the camera! Awesome!!!

Carol

This is a most frustrating lot of squid!!! Last-years lot devoured the 'guppies' (Gambusia), but this batch just attack and then drop. They have to be near-starved to eat them!

I've seen 3 Gambusia get whacked today, but they're doing so rather reluctantly. This eve I'll go out and collect further mysids - although they really are too small a prey item for these squid now.

Perhaps I'll try and collect some small shrimp this weekend, to see whether this particularly fussy lot prefer them.

I'm scratching my head over this; what works one year doesn't the next.

Crazy things!! Have just spent the evening on a mudfalt (as one does) and collected a ton of mysids. The squid went absolutely ballistic.

Don't know why but this lot prefer small prey for an extended period of time (or perhaps the Gambusia taste horrid).

Lady TTF and Master Nik went for a wee dive last night and collected a squillion batches of eggs and a Yucktopus.

I'll place a few 1-day old squid (just hatched) in the tank today (probably later this evening) just so that you can compare the size of hatchlings to the present squid; I think you'll be surprised!!

Whewwwwwwwwww. I'm glad you posted that Tony!! Have had 'one of those days' today; the short while I could watch them I never once saw them express an interest in the fish. Now I know that they are eating 'when I am not watching'!

I've just added ~ 6 x 1-day-old squid to the tank, and a ton of mysids. I'm not too sure how the new squid will do as the larger squid show a disconcerting level of interest in them (I've seen a couple of the babies being attacked, but immediately dropped). Size-wise the 1-day-old squid are about the size of the larger squids eyeball (they are tiny).

Behind the scenes there are many hundreds of other squid; we're about to release many into sea cages ... as soon as I build them, anchored to the seafloor, with subsurface buoys. There's no way we can feed the number that we have, so we're going to trial out something different - different mesh sizes to allow different-sized prey into the cages, but prevent the squid from escaping - and then to compare lab with field-maintained squid. We'll certainly post images of this.

Just FYI, the squid in there are now ~ 6 weeks old (had to do the arithmetic one of these days).

Glad I could help! I need to post that SquidCam link somewhere more prominently on the homepage, let me look into that.

Ta T.

I was pleasantly surprised this morning for a number of reasons. First, the 6 baby squid are still alive and well; it seems that the larger squid didn't eat them afterall (they are very high in the water column - you can't see them yet). Second, the squid completely cleaned out the tank of all mysids that I'd put in there yesterday (many hundreds). Third, despite having 'hammered' my mysid-collecting spot yesterday, I was back there again this morning and managed to collect twice as many; bizarre! (The greatest majority of mysids are being stocked to feed the cohorts of younger squid (all doing very well).)

The larger ones are definitely growing now!

download.php

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back