SQUIDCAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
:smile:

They're only ~ 4-5mm in total length, so that's a pretty amazing camera to pick them up. In ~ 2 weeks you'll easily be able to see them (they'll be twice that size).

They tend to hang around to the upper right, next to the banjo screen.

I've had to introduce a light/dark cycle in the tank; you'll have noticed earlier that the egg mass was constantly illuminated (Colin sure did ... I thought I could get away with it until I admitted the squid, without anyone noticing). Now I've put a fluoro tube quite some distance from the tank, but it's really cut the illumination level down, and certainly makes for difficult viewing during the austral night (although I can still see them, but I know what to look for). What I'll do tomorrow is TRY (I'm not sure if I'll stick with it) a small fluoro directly above the tank; it will make for easier viewing, but might not be the best thing for the squid (and I'm afraid squid come first).

Here they are at day 2; flooded the tank with mysid shrimp this morning - should keep them going for a couple of days.

download.php

and a CU (they're still extremely small; we'll get better pics as this goes on).

download.php

Day 5 or 6 - I forget - too many things on ...

Hungry little things!

download.php

download.php

OK, I've changed the night light system to benefit the US/northern hemisphere folk. I've bounced a 500w lamp off the ceiling so that diffuse light hits the tank. The lighting actually appears better than it does during the day, although considerably dimmer than the daylight/fluorescent lighting.

I'm not too sure how this will work as far as the squid are concerned, so if someone in the UK or US can take a pic during their morn and post online so that I can see how the squid are behaving I'd sure appreciate it.

I might change this lighting yet again, just to lower it, or throw in a 250w lamp instead.

The squid seem to have dropped a little in the water column, and the mysid shrimp risen, which is a good thing! Places predator and prey alongside each other.
Ta
Me

Hi Steve

The ligting looks fine, though of course, the needs of the little guys come first here. :smile:

Here's a shot of the SquidCam at 7:10 AM CST here in Tennessee.
SquidCam_041012_0710_CST_90.jpg

Here's another shot looking towards the surface at 7:12 AM CST.
SquidCam_041012_0712_CST_90.jpg

Hope that helps,
--Carl
div34.gif

Rather bizarre behavior today; the squid are very low in the water column, many even below the egg mass.

The small mysid shrimp are dispersed throughout the water column, but the larger, gravid-female mysids are on the bottom of the tank. I'm just wondering, 6-or-so days into this, whether they're already targetting the larger, lower food source. I must replenish it tomorrow, and do a substantial water change; you'll probably notice a reduction in water clarity (sorry in advance).

Cheers
O

:wink:

That's a pic by the computer, not through SQUIDCAM, but it will not be long ...

~ 25,000 views in just over a week!

download.php

Hmmmmmm; not quite sure how to take that Matt.

Personally I don't quite think it captured the bags under my eyes, the wrinkles, the lost weight, and the gray hair or two in the burns.

Steve O'Shea said:
Hmmmmmm; not quite sure how to take that Matt.

Personally I don't quite think it captured the bags under my eyes, the wrinkles, the lost weight, and the gray hair or two in the burns.

Well you have less grey hair than me!

Well, my wife and I were just checking out the SquidCam when a suspiciously human looking hand appeared and waved :shock:

Either there's someone there, or these little guys were spawned near a nuclear test site and are starting to mutate :?

--Carl :cyclops: and Barbara :cyclops:

Twas Lady TTF; we were just showing them to a film crew ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back