SQUIDCAM IV - NOW LIVE!!

Discussion in 'Physiology and Biology' started by tonmo, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Edit - squidcam is offline, and won't be back anytime soon. Read this thread and the squidcam issues thread for the (unfortunate) details.
    ==
    Folks - before Dr. Steve O'Shea left town to tend to other business in the world of marine science (currently tending to recent pilot whale stranding incidents), he asked me to keep an eye on SquidCam and post an announcement when it went live. Please enjoy SquidCam IV - with great thanks to Steve and the staff at AUT EOS:
    You might need to download the latest version of Java (free) to view SQUIDCAM (do so here http://java.com/en/download/inc/windows_new_ie.jsp)

SQUIDCAM at
    http://www.aut.ac.nz/research/research-institutes/eos/whats-new/squidcam

Post comments and questions here. Steve also left me with a contact in his staff; I'll drop them a note and let them know this thread is here. If they don't get back to you, I'm sure Steve will when he returns.

More information about SquidCam here:

http://www.aut.ac.nz/research/research-institutes/eos/whats-new

2. Steve O'Shea

Steve O'Shea Colossal Squid Supporter

Oh dear, it's gone live and they haven't set the camera properly! Please folk, persevere and I'll get the system operational properly soon - including the lighting. Right now my priority had been to keep them alive by collecting sufficient food. Believe it or not there are over 200 squid in there right now, but they are small. We attended a whale stranding last week and during that time the water quality deteriorated a little (it doesn't take much with so many squid); it's a recirculating system with only a 100 litre sump. Even slight cloudiness in the water makes viewing difficult, but I cannot do a full water change or I'd lose everything in an hour or so.

I promise all that it will improve this week, considerably. I'll head into work shortly and attend to the basics to improve it ....

Most are about half the size of my thumbnail ... a new metric for squid; they're 2-3 weeks old, and hatched at a mantle length of ~ 3mm (total length 5-6 mm); they'll start growing rather quickly now because we're moving onto a larger prey type for them. Mortality in the tank is ~ 0% - I've lost 2 paralarvae since it began (one a spinner and the other to a mysid).

I see the pictures on the EOS 'what's new' site haven't appeared either .... everything conspires against me today; triage here we come!

3. Steve O'Shea

VASTLY improved now; just the water clarity issue to contend with, and a white (instead of yellow) light. By day's end it will be so much better!

4. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Squid Cam Contest

Since the software :sagrin: allows us to take snaps of what we are seeing, I propose a photo contest to run through the life of the Cam.

After Steve stops messing with it, there is the ability to move the focus point and zoom in (to some extent). There is a camera button on the left to preserve a still (video game players are likely to do better catching a shot though). Before you attempt a capture, click on the camera and set your browser to always allow popups from this site. Once popups are allowed the single still will be poped-up in a new browser/tab. You can right click on the image to save it and then upload normally.

This one does not count as a submission but was one I took while Steve was mucking about with the focus.
    Added a photo today :razz:
    Added my SquidCam shot of the day

Attached Files:

5. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

It's really great - here's a pic I took. Camera control works quite well -- and there was no waiting. Pretty nice feature, Dr. O!

Attached Files:

6. lance

lance Wonderpus Registered

great idea

lance

7. Steve O'Shea

You'll see changes in the lighting through the USA day; I've left a light on in our evening to allow your viewing, and then turn the main lights on our day (your afternoon/eve). There's not a lot I can do about this - I do have to have some light cycle in the tank for the squid (they don't seem to mind light at all).

Off to collect a squillion mysids again .... they eat like monsters!

8. Steve O'Shea

If you're trying to watch right now, we're just reconfiguring the system; apologies for any inconvenience - please persevere with us for a very short time.
    Steve

9. DWhatley

Nothing like getting news media attention to improve configuration :wink:

10. Steve O'Shea

11. DWhatley

Looks like you finally "got some respect" (or gave IT enough time to set up a decent web page for you:sagrin:).

12. Steve O'Shea

Things happened at meteoric speed today

13. GPO87

GPO87 Sepia elegans Staff Member Moderator

They're so tiny! It's totally reasonable to have 200 or so individuals in the tank! I can't wait to watch them get bigger!
    Excuse me while I go and try to take a picture!

14. Steve O'Shea

Big water change tomorrow .... maybe 25% ... and move to new prey type (fish). Watch these puppies grow :)

15. bobwonderbuns

bobwonderbuns Vampyroteuthis Supporter

That's awesome Steve! Thanks for sharing!! :smile:

16. Steve O'Shea

I've had to increase the biofiltration rate in the tank, and as a consequence you'll see that the water looks murky and the squid are less easy to see. This is a consequence of the squillions of air bubbles now in the tank. I'll have to remedy this ... once done clarity should improve within a matter of minutes (it's just those air bubbles that are making visibility poor). Sorry about this - I did it last eve before heading home and didn't check the camera until now.

Also, you may well see a few fish go in today, which will mean there'll be a lot of fish debris on the tank by afternoon (as they discard the frames). Growth will soon explode, as we're over the difficult part now - the hardest part being the first 4-or-so weeks when the squid tend to fall over).

17. Steve O'Shea

Should be MUCH better now

18. Architeuthoceras

Architeuthoceras Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

19. Steve O'Shea

Many are about a month old today (~ 15 mm total length), but some are 3-or-so weeks only; all are doing fine.

Now's the time I start contemplating liberating some, as they're really starting to eat me out of house and home, and we're spending about 3 hours/day commuting and collecting live prey ... and it's lasting a day only! I don't really have those 3 hours spare!

Attached Files:

20. Steve O'Shea

I had to let about 30 go this morning; it is simply becoming too hard to collect enough food, and there were too many in the tank (stocking density), they were dirtying the water too quickly for the filtration and skimming systems to work (all in the attached sump that you cannot see). They are now, hopefully, swimming around a local jetty (rather than in the stomachs of fish that occur there!).

Shortly we'll move from mysid prey to fish prey (I've tried a few fish over the last week, the fresh-water Gambusia [it tolerates salt for quite a while]); the larger ones would eat them, but there was so much wastage, and after 24-or-so hours the bottom of the tank would be covered in partially eaten frames). I don't think this lot of squid likes Gambusia as much as earlier cohorts; will have to move to small yellow eyed mullet (Aldrichetta forsteri) very soon, and the palemonid shrimp Palaemon affinis (but this is a little large at this point).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.