SQUIDCAM issues

BLAST! did they say why? I've had permits to hold squid in the past and I'm sure you have too. Is this an administrative slap on the hand? if so it's pretty petty.........commiserations :sad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

No need for YOU to apologise!

Jean

Thanks for the squid cam, I've been enjoying it since it came up whenever I can. I wish you'd phrased the poll differently - Do I think the squid cam "should" stay up? Not if it is going to get anyone in trouble or cause an ulcer. But I would love to see it stay up. Best of luck on your ethics issue, whether you can maintain squidcam or not, I hope very much that you can continue to keep your squid!

.... but it will be back up and running in a different sort of way in a week or so .... for a different kind of squid, although less interactive :silenced:

hello Steve o'Shea
my name is Andrew Wilson and i work at the National Aquarium of New Zealand in Napier.
i found a brunch of broad squids eggs last year and i got them to hatch and start feeding but started dieing and ended up losing them all i think it was the way i had the filter set up .I have manage to find 2 more bunches and bring them back to work and was woundering if you had time to tell me what kind of set up you use.
thanks for your time and i hope to hear from you i have a lot of questions and im realy looking forward to making it work this time and geting squid on display for the 1st time at the aquarium

Hi Andrew. Nice to meet you. Is Kerry Hewitt (or Rob, the boss) not there anymore? We have worked a lot with Kerry and Rob in the past, with keeping broad squid alive (and just having a wonderful time), and given the Nat Aquarium specimens before. I know that the Nat Aquarium has had them before, on display, and you are so fortunate in having some of the best mysid territory available to you anywhere in New Zealand (for food for the paralarvae). If anyone can do it, you can do it in Napier - but it is extremely hard work!

Are you interested in starting live squid culture again? All you need is a cylindrical tank - your facilities are out of this world!

I am all too happy to come down and show you what to do, if you have egg masses available right now. The most important thing, if you do, is to keeep them 'gently dancing' in a flow-to-waste water supply. If you do then I could be down next week (anytime after Monday) - as long as you have that cylindirical, acrylic tank (unfortunately this week is an absolute nightmare!).

I'd love to drop everything right now and be down tomorrow, but I am afraid I am fully booked for a while.

wow thats great news i am more than keen to learn as much as i can in hatching and raising them up to be put on display.yes kerry and rob are my boss i have been ther for 4 and a half years now,and tryed hatching them last year but didnt have much luck.I have two bunches of eggs and i think they are doing nice.my number is 0272094610 as im not at work the next two days.i will be ther the weekend.i have a round tank set up with incoming water and the over flow sucking from under the gravel and a small pump to make the water move do i need this?i would realy like to chat with you if i could as i have so much to ask ,and would realy like your help.

I'll try and make it down soon Andrew. As long as the water temp is between 13 and 19 degrees, the summer and winter temps we get eggs ehere (somewhere in between, 18 is perfect for summer) you'll be fine (I know that's a HUGE range, but I don't know what the local temps are right now).
Say Hi to Kerry & Rob
Steve

sounds good thank you.i think its a little warmer, we are pumping water staight from the bay .
i look forward to meeting and learning from you. cant wait to make this work.

hi ther steve just a couple of questions about your visit.would you like to do anything in particular that you would like me to organised or get for you?and the other is would you like me to organise a place for you to stay?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back