Squid vs. G.I. Joe

cthulhu77 said:
do you remember the submarine with the spaceship in the nose???

It was called SkyDiver. The sub used to rotate to 45 degrees to launch the Sky One interceptor. Never could work out how the thing landed and reattached itself though.

I should get out more.

cthulhu77 said:
:at one time, the entire collection (5) of 3' tall robot warriors (the names somewhat escape my 39 year old beer fogged brain...Mai-Zinga (?) and others)
Greg,

Those were Mattel's Shogun Warriors, re-packaged Japanese mecha. In addition to Mai-Zinga, there were Raydeen, Combatra(?) and Dragun...the fifth escapes me.

My loss list includes the 1979 Kenner "Alien" figure, faithfully reproduced from the eponymous movie. It survived in battered form until 1996, when one too many tumbles from the bookshelf caught up with it.

As for the Micronauts, that's a loss too massive for words.

:x

Clem

Clem said:
Jean,

The list of wonderful toys I've let go of and/or abused is long and depressing. I salute your canny hoarding.

Vis the "Dragon's Domain" ceph-monster, I've run a a search for the thing and come across a number of Space 1999 forums and nostalgia sites. The consensus opinion is that "Dragon's Domain" was easily one of the best episodes, if not the best. Further, the response people had to that monster seems to have been one of generalized terror. "That thing scared the crap/****/bejeezus/hell/**** out of me when I was five" is the common claim. My well-meaning parents tried to reassure me that the Dragon was only a special effect, produced by the artful manipulation of "blankets." I went to bed, frightened of monsters and bed sheets.

:goofysca:

Clem

Me too, Whenever I think of that series that is one of the first things that pops into my head!!!

Phil said:
I picked up the whole first year of Space 1999 on DVD last year in a bargain bin and sat there watching the whole lot over a month or so in order. There was a real creepy atmosphere to many of those stories and some really quite advanced special effects for the time. It's a bit of a pity that most of the characters lacked any sense of humour and just grimly faced whatever space brain/clouds of foam the episode presented the moon flying into, but there was a real sense of hostility and weirdness that Star Trek never had. At least the series did not resort to men-in-rubber-suits aliens running around in its first year and tried to present real very and very psychedelic alien menaces. The second year was pretty dreadful though, I've seen a couple of those recently and they just degenerated into a runaround about Alpha chased by extras with rubber heads on set to funky guitar music. Pity Barry Morse disappeared for no good reason too.

The ceph-monster really did stand out as being frightening, even rewatching it at my age I felt a sense of impending doom before the thing materialised, and given the constraints of a TV 1973 budget worked really well. And that eerie sound it made as it appeared is unforgettable. The use of the classical music in the Ultra-Probe sequences certainly added a certain 2001-style class. Top-stuff, pity the series did not ever reach that height again.

And I too have a Dinky Eagle freighter in my attic in a very battered box too Jean. Wonder how much these things go for these days?

I'm so Jealous, I'd like to revisit the ol' Moonbase! And yeah I wonder what happened to Barry Morse too. I thought the worst cliche was the black hole episode no one even got squished in the immense gravity!

No Idea how much the dinkies go for but I was offered about NZ$100 each around 15 years ago.........not a chance!!!!

J

Thanks to the magic of YouTube, those who wondered what we were all going on about can experience the monster that traumatized a generation: the squid monster from Space:1999, "Dragon's Domain."

The comments left at YouTube about "Dragon's Domain" are rather remarkable. Everyone who saw that thing back in the mid-70's remembers it. I hope the show's creators know just how successful that episode was. Thirty years older and carrying a weight of disbelief ever more difficult to suspend, I'm still bothered by it.

Clem

Oh you've found the horrible lurker at the threshold of my mind. That monster was simply ghastly, and traumatised me as a kid.

You know I saw the episode a few months ago and it is one of the few Space:1999 episodes that still works. The screams of the victims sucked underneath it, the eerie noise, the wind blowing, classical music and utter atmosphere really depicted a classy production. Star Trek never even remotely approached anything this graphic.

It's a pity that most of the rest of the monsters in the other episodes were just man-in-a-suit runarounds, but this was something else entirely.

Thanks for my restless night ahead Clem.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back