squid tank

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by blue-o-two, May 26, 2008.

1. blue-o-two

blue-o-two Cuttlefish Registered

hi all,
    I am quite and avid scuba diver. and i love cephalopods. i never tried to keep these animals in captivity before but i have kept SW fish for many years now. after reading through some of the journals of the cuttlefish projects, i was wondering if something similar could be done with squid. obviously you have to choose the slightly smaller specise and you would need a much larger tank. but could it be done. im very interested in possibly setting something like that up. i just wanted to know if it was at all possible. if it is any information on how i would go about setting it up would be much appreciated.

2. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

:welcome:

Squids are generally considered much harder to keep, to the point where no hobbyist we're aware of has kept them for any length of time, the only exception I can think of being bobtail squids, which act more like shy cuttlefish. Squids tend to be cannibalistic, voracious, and have a habit of jetting into the walls and hurting themselves. A few pros around have had some luck raising them, in particular Steve and Kat kept a squid tank (that had a "squidcam") for quite a while, but it was pretty difficult, and although one squid lasted long enough to break a record, he ate all his siblings when the food wasn't provided fast enough. I think he lasted around 250 days in captivity, if I remember right. I think they had it plumbed into a flow-through seawater system as well, so they didn't have to worry much about water quality.

At the very least, I'd think that getting used to the food and filtration needs with cuttles would be wise as a first step, since squids are known to be much more extreme. I think, though, that it's so impractical for someone who doesn't have access to a research facility that it's effectively impossible, and you'd probably be happier with cuttles, particularly if you're dismayed by high casualty rates.

3. blue-o-two

thanks Monty for your reply. very informative.

4. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

one thing I know round tanks are essential and some plastics are toxic (OK that's two things!)

J

5. daddysquoc

daddysquoc Wonderpus Registered

ur also probably going to need red light, so they think its dark. thats what u have to do with nocturnal octos, since they cant see red.

6. gholland

gholland Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

If you do, go with red plastic or red vellum covering a fluorescent light instead of the red LEDs. Works much better with my O. mercatoris.

7. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I have both an LED set up and a vellum type cover (two different Merc tanks) and the vellum over a flourescent is, by far, the most successful for both observation and for the nocturnals ignoring the light.

8. jimmy 22

jimmy 22 O. bimaculoides Registered

buckets

are the buckets you can buy at home depot and the 55 gal. garbage cans toxic to chephs?

9. Keith

Keith Vampyroteuthis Registered

i wouldnt think so.

10. Keith

i may be wrong though

11. Jean

pm Steve, I can never remember which plastic he found was toxic to cephs, I should but I can't :oops:

J

12. Keith

13. Jean

Steve kept some baby squid in a plastic tank which leached some chemical into the water killing his babies....very traumatic. I just can't remember what type of plastic it was!

14. Keith

oh shoot. well. i guess you might wanna check out craigs list and find a good deal on a glass tank. ive heard you wanna buy a round one to avoid them smackin themselves against the glass, but you can find just about anything on craigslist. so give it a shot.

15. blue-o-two

going back to the red light. could someone please explain the purpose of it
    thx

16. gholland

gholland Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

Nocturnal cephalopods (or at least O. mercatoris) don't appear to see red wavelengths very well and therefore will think it is essentially "dark" and go about their business as usual when no lights are on in the room and you only have a red light in the tank. This allows you to see them quite well as they go through their normal nocturnal activities anywhere in the tank instead of the inconvenience of using a red flashlight and having to hold and point. It would be even less convenient if you had to shine a white flashlight around the tank at night and ended up scaring them back into hiding.

Here's an example of our merc tank:

17. blue-o-two

oh i see. so its only really used for nocturnal specise

18. Jean

We also use red lighting when we do night openings at the aquarium. We keep all the main lights off and visitors use torches covered in red cellophane, works a treat and adds to the excitement for the kids!

j

19. Keith

that sounds pretty cool. what aquarium?

20. Jean

New Zealand Marine Studies Centre and Westpac Aquarium at Portobello, Dunedin NZ. 'tis owned by the Marine Science Dept, University of Otago and is the oldest public aquarium in the country (opened in 1931).

see www.marine.ac.nz if you're ever down our way let me know and I'll give you a tour. We also have the Portobello Marine Laboratory on site (oldest in Australasia opened 1904) http://www.otago.ac.nz/marinescience/pml/index.html and access to the RV Polaris II, http://www.otago.ac.nz/marinescience/vessel/index.html

J