Squid studies shed light on hearing mechanisms in humans

From ScienceDaily.com:

The ordinary squid, Loligo pealii -- best known until now as a kind of floating buffet for just about any fish in the sea -- may be on the verge of becoming a scientific superstar, providing clues about the origin and evolution of the sense of hearing.

What Can Squid Hear? - Treehugger

[SIZE=-2]Zee News[/SIZE]

What Can Squid Hear?
[SIZE=-1]Treehugger[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]But researchers studying squid hearing hope to learn even more. Can studying squid hearing help us understand how all ears work? Squid anchor many oceanic ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Squid studies shed light on hearing mechanisms in humans[SIZE=-1]Sify[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Squid studies provide valuable insights into hearing mechanisms[SIZE=-1]EurekAlert (press release)[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]all 28 news articles[/SIZE]

More...

The article;164929 said:
His preliminary findings showed that squid statocysts respond to sounds, but only to relatively low
frequencies, up to 500 Hertz; they do not detect the very high frequency echolocation sounds that dolphins use to find prey.

However, up to 500Hz apparently covers most of the range used by baleen whales (thank you, Wikipedia :oops:), which could be very useful. (BTW, isn't Loligo now Doryteuthis? Tsk, tsk.)

I have been trying to find out what commonly available things make noises at their hearing range. It would be interesting to create a "dinner bell" if I could find something appropriate. Anyone with a clue?

A loud clicking noises, I always hear them when I'm diving.....Like the sound made by those antique tin alligators that clicked. I have thought would make a good 'dinner bell', loud repetitive clicking.
tinalligator.jpg

Or as a kid we used to bend the lids from glass Snapple bottles and they would click really loud. That woudl be perfect too.

I have found several dog clickers and toy clickers and I may order one but first I want to find something that I know is within the 400-1000 hz range noted in the octopus hearing article last year. Since this article mentions 500hz I am using that frequency to search. So far I have found that the low note on a car horn is in this range but I am still looking for something practical.

I found one project buzzer with a 300-500hz range but how would I know (without buying test equipment) what the actual output is?

Attachments

• conv_297164.jpg
    conv_297164.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 71

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back