Squid 'sight': Not just through eyes - EurekAlert (press release)

Discussion in 'The Octopus' Den' started by octobot, Jun 2, 2009.

1. octobot

octobot Robotic Staff Staff Member Robotic Staff

Squid 'sight': Not just through eyes
    [SIZE=-1]EurekAlert (press release), DC[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]MADISON — It's hard to miss the huge eye of a squid. But now it appears that certain squids can detect light through an organ other than their eyes as well. That's what researchers at the University of Wisconsin-Madison report in the current issue ...[/SIZE]

More...

2. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

This is very interesting, but I have another thought that's not in the article: since the light is produced by bacteria, maybe the intensity is variable, and the photoreceptive cells are there to detect how much light the bacteria are producing, and match the light organ opening to that light level compared to the ambient downwelling light detected by the eyes.... of course, this is all just a guess on my part...

3. Tintenfisch

Tintenfisch Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, cool article. There's a more in-depth summary/discussion on Not Exactly Rocket Science, which includes a few extra theories on the light-detectors' uses.

4. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Kat,
    Thanks for the link (I think). I signed up for their emails but it will take me forever to read even the most current interesting articles!

5. ckeiser

ckeiser GPO Supporter

I think Euprymna scolopes can actually control the amount of bioluminescence given off by the V. fischeri bacteria.