Squid Shoaling Behavior

Phil1078

Blue Ring
Registered
Hello everyone,

It has been a while since I have posted on this forum. I am currently reading a book on fish behavior. One chapter is on shoaling and individual fish choice regarding the shoal it joins. For example, fish tend to pick shoals with similar sized fish for dilution effect. They also select a larger shoal. Hungry fish behave differently; they pick smaller shoals with smaller fish for less competition. Sepioteuthis sepioidea is my favorite ceph, and I was just curious if anyone knew if they behaved in a similar fashion. I remember reading somewhere that squid (obviously not all squid) are somewhat convergent with ray-finned fish in terms of niche and behavior. Do you agree? Anyone have any good videos displaying this (preferably in S. sepioidea) :wink:?

Actually, the majority of genus Loligo (if not all of the species belonging to Loligo) is known to shoal and/or congregate for sexual events (triggered by tide and season). Don't forget Humbolt Squid hunt in shoals or packs along with the amazing use of communication.
Some species in Loligo

Loligo vulgaris common squid
Loligo opalescens market squid
Loligo forbesi veined squid
Loligo pealei long finned squid
Loligo duvaucelii

The species list spans for much more

However, I have not heard of the behavior of the squid in relation to ray finned fish. Whats the tittle of the book btw? I'm curious...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back